Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms Tart with Blue Cheese – simple tart made with puff pastry topped with caramelized onions, mushrooms and blue cheese.
I have a secret to share with you.
I love caramelized onions, as in caramelized onion flatbread, as in this tart here. But I also love mushrooms. And blue cheese. This tart here is a win win.
Are you guys scared of making tarts? They’re so easy because the easiest way to make them is using puff pastry, then you can top them with anything you want, fruits, custard tarts, and savory tarts like this one. You’ll find many such tarts here on Jo Cooks.
So this tart here. Yum! Caramelized onions and mushrooms in butter and olive oil, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper, you don’t need much salt because the blue cheese is fairly salted, puff pastry and one of my favorite cheeses, blue cheese. I know a lot of people are not fans of blue cheese but you have to give it a try, it’s delicious. When you marry all these great ingredients together you have a great marriage of amazing flavors resulting in one delicious tart.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 pound mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- ½ cup blue cheese
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan. Add the onion and cook until it starts to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until they start to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the wine, deglaze the pan and cook until it has evaporated.
- Roll the puff pastry out to a 12x12 inch rectangle.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Score a line around the puff pastry 1 inch from the edge.
- Spread the blue cheese over the middle of the puff pastry and then spread with the onion and mushroom mixture.
- Bake until the a the pastry is golden brown, about 15-25 minutes.