Ricotta Cheese Cake – a different take on cheesecake made with ricotta cheese and raisins. Delicious!
Romanians love their cheese pastries, cheese pies, crepes filled with cheese, and cheese cakes, and I’m no different. Cheesecake is by far my favorite dessert, but this is an interesting cake, it’s called a cheesecake but it’s not your traditional cheesecake with cream cheese. This is yet another traditional Romanian recipe that I just love. It’s a very easy cake to make, and the big difference between this cake and your traditional cheesecake is this is made with ricotta cheese. This cake is light, and it’s delicious.
Start by adding 2 of the eggs and half of the sugar to a mixing bowl.
Beat the eggs and sugar for about 3 minutes. Add the sour cream and melted butter.
Mix everything well and then add flour and baking powder and continue mixing until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Take the batter and pour it in your buttered cake pan. Now I used a cheesecake pan, but you don’t have to if you don’t have one. Set this aside while you make the ricotta cheese mixture.
In your mixing bowl add the ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla extract.
Mix the cheese together with the eggs. If you are adding raisins now is the time. I just love golden raisins with ricotta cheese, by they are totally optional. Pour this cheese mixture over the cake batter. You do not need to mix this.
Bake the cheesecake in a preheated oven at 375 F degrees, for about 45 minutes or until the cake is nice and golden.
Let the cake cool completely and then sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top if preferred.
I just love this cake, it’s very delicious and I hope you’ll enjoy it as well.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- ½ cup golden raisins (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 375 F degrees.
- In a mixer, add 2 of the eggs and ½ cup of the sugar and mix well until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and the melted butter and mix well. Add the flour and the baking powder, and mix well.
- In another bowl mix the ricotta with the remainder of the sugar, vanilla extract and the remaining 2 eggs and mix well. You may also add raisins with ricotta if you wish. Personally I like a few raisins in this cake, so now would be the time to add about ½ cup of raisins.
- You can use a cheesecake pan, butter it well. Pour the cake batter first, then pour the ricotta mix in the middle. Do not mix. Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before serving. You may also sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of the cake.