I must tell you, these are one of my favorite cookies ever! They are perfect for breakfast with coffee as well as an after dinner treat. You can choose your favorite flavor of jam, you do not have to use apricot, I’ve tried these with raspberry jam, or strawberry jam and they are all delicious. I’ve also made them with nutella, and boy are they good!! These rugelach (cornulete cu gem) are simple perfection. They are easy to make and beyond delicious. When you bite into these, it’s an explosion of flavors in your mouth. Although you don’t see the pecans in the pictures I did sprinkle some to give them a bit of crunch, but it’s optional.
Growing up my mother used to make these rugelach cookies for every holiday or whenever we wanted something sweet. It was the go to cookie for us. It’s loved by all family members. These rugelach cookies are so flaky, not too sweet because there’s no sugar in the dough, but sweet enough from the jelly and the white chocolate, they simply melt in your mouth.
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cold butter or margarine
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup apricot jam or raspberry jam
- ½ cup white chocolate finely chopped
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- Place flour in a mixing bowl and with 2 knives cut in the butter or margarine till the mixture resembles small peas. Stir in the sour cream and vanilla till the dough holds together. On your floured work surface knead the dough about 10 times. Divide the dough into 3 pieces and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Roll one piece of the dough at a time into 10 inch circle. This is like making pizza. Spread the dough with 2 tbsp of jam and sprinkle with one third of the chopped white chocolate. Using a pizza cutter cut the dough into 12 wedges. Starting at curved edge, roll up each wedge and place point-side down, on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- In a small bowl stir together the sugar and cinnamon if desired and sprinkle over each cookie. If you are trying to cut back on sugar, you can omit this step.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 min or until light golden brown.
- This recipe yields about 3 dozen cookies.