Cranberry and Banana Muffins – perfect for this time of year and one delicious and healthy breakfast.
It’s been a very cold week here in Calgary and it’s very depressing. It’s dark when I leave the house and it’s dark when I come home. Luckily I’m surrounded by windows at work so I can see the sunshine throughout the day. But enough about me complaining about the weather. I want to share with you this wonderful recipe for cranberry and banana muffins.
First of all, I want to tell you that I did not use to be a fan of cranberries because they’re not like blueberries that you can just eat them because they are so tangy and sour, however my husband loves eating them raw because he likes sour things. Now I still wouldn’t consider myself a fan of them, but I do love them in muffins. Cranberry muffins used to be my favorite muffin to get on my way to work every morning, but since I work so close to home now I never pass a Tim Horton’s on my way. So because of this I make my own muffins, freeze them and every morning I take one out of the freezer with me to work and they make the perfect breakfast.
Now before I get to the recipe, I’m sure I don’t have to remind you that cranberries are great for you, they’re packed with vitamin C which helps protect your immune system and they help promote good urinary tract health. Yum!
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Prepare a muffin pan with liners.
- In a bowl mix the flour, salt and baking powder together. Set aside.
- In another bowl mash the bananas, and to them add oil, eggs, sugars, and vanilla extract. Mix together using a whisk. Add yogurt and whisk until everything is well incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and whisk. Do not over mix. Fold in cranberries.
- Fill the muffin liners evenly with the muffin mixture. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins are golden.