Look out people!
These pictures might make you drool and lick your monitors!
But that’s OK, I say! And at the risk of using too many exclamation marks, you will not regret these donuts if you make them!
But why am I making something sweet again? It’s simple my friends, our lives need to be a little sweeter, because sweet things make us happy and we all want to be happy. So now that I’ve established why I made these let me just tell you a little bit about these gorgeous golden donuts. And gorgeous they are, delicious beyond belief they are. OK, I don’t want to sound like Master Yoda here, but phenomenal these donuts are.
They are not quite like your traditional donuts because they have sour cream in them, so donuts are a bit heavier, but still fluffy and tasty. But I did not want just a boring plain donut. I wanted to fill mine up and make them exquisite so I filled them up with this super delicious cherry jam. Oh my world they were to die for. I had to give them to my neighbor before we ate them all, because they were incredibly hard to resist. Dear husband almost cried afterwards because I didn’t save anymore for us.
As I was filling these babies I realized these donuts would have been delicious filled with a custard, which is what I think I’ll fill them with next time I make these donuts. That’s what’s so great about them, you can fill them with anything, oh I just had a thought, Nutella!! OMG why didn’t I think of this before, yep that’s my next project. Nutella filled donuts. Don’t hate me because I have these ideas, help me!
- 3½ to 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 package (7 g) active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ⅔ cup milk, lukewarm
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- oil for frying
- cherry jam for filling
- powdered sugar
- In a small bowl mix the yeast, sugar and milk together and let sit for about 15 minutes until yeast has dissolved.
- In the bowl of your mixer add the flour, salt and mix. To the bowl add the yeast mixture, egg, sour cream and butter. Mix with the paddle attachment for a couple minutes until well incorporated. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with towel and let it rest until it doubles in size.
- Roll out the dough, on a floured surface, and cut out rounds using a glass or a 2 inch cookie cutter.
- In a frying pan heat the oil and turn the heat down to medium. Fry the donuts and let cool on a wire rack.
- Cut out slits into the side of each donut and fill with a tsp of cherry jam.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.