Cherry Jam Filled Sour Cream Donuts – gorgeous golden cherry jam filled donuts and delicious beyond belief. The ultimate filled donut! Come get the recipe!
Look out people!
These pictures might make you drool and lick your monitors!
But that’s OK, I say! And at the risk of using too many exclamation marks, you will not regret these donuts if you make them!
But why am I making something sweet again? It’s simple my friends, our lives need to be a little sweeter, because sweet things make us happy and we all want to be happy. So now that I’ve established why I made these let me just tell you a little bit about these gorgeous golden donuts. And gorgeous they are, delicious beyond belief they are. OK, I don’t want to sound like Master Yoda here, but phenomenal these donuts are.
They are not quite like your traditional donuts because they have sour cream in them, so donuts are a bit heavier, but still fluffy and tasty. But I did not want just a boring plain donut. I wanted to fill mine up and make them exquisite so I filled them up with this super delicious cherry jam. Oh my world they were to die for. I had to give them to my neighbor before we ate them all, because they were incredibly hard to resist. Dear husband almost cried afterwards because I didn’t save anymore for us.
As I was filling these babies I realized these donuts would have been delicious filled with a custard, which is what I think I’ll fill them with next time I make these donuts. That’s what’s so great about them, you can fill them with anything, oh I just had a thought, Nutella!! OMG why didn’t I think of this before, yep that’s my next project. Nutella filled donuts. Don’t hate me because I have these ideas, help me!
- 3½ to 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 package (7 g) active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ⅔ cup milk, lukewarm
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- oil for frying
- cherry jam for filling
- powdered sugar
- In a small bowl mix the yeast, sugar and milk together and let sit for about 15 minutes until yeast has dissolved.
- In the bowl of your mixer add the flour, salt and mix. To the bowl add the yeast mixture, egg, sour cream and butter. Mix with the paddle attachment for a couple minutes until well incorporated. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with towel and let it rest until it doubles in size.
- Roll out the dough, on a floured surface, and cut out rounds using a glass or a 2 inch cookie cutter.
- In a frying pan heat the oil and turn the heat down to medium. Fry the donuts and let cool on a wire rack.
- Cut out slits into the side of each donut and fill with a tsp of cherry jam.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.