You know what I love?
A good scone with a good cup of coffee.
You know what’s even better though?
A low calorie scone!
Seriously! A delicious scone that won’t go to your hips. These babies right here, yeah I’m talking about these chocolate chip scones that are only 160 calories per scone. I dare you to beat that!
You can’t! But that’s OK, you can use this recipe here and share it with others. I won’t mind! As you eat them, you won’t even be thinking that they’re low calorie, trust me you won’t. You’ll be thinking you’re indulging, and that’s OK.
I made a batch of these which I took to work, because I wanted to spread the love, and let me tell you these babies were a success. They were gone in no time.
So do your favorite food blogger a huge favor and give these a try, I guarantee you’ll love them.
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1½ tbsp sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Add the first 4 ingredients to a bowl and whisk well.
- In another big bowl add the two flours, salt and baking powder. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the chocolate and gently fold it in.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until moist.
- Turn the dough over onto a floured surface and gently knead it a few times until the flour is incorporated. Place the dough onto a baking sheet and using a rolling pin roll the dough until it’s about ¾ of an inch in thickness.
- Brush the dough with the egg white, then cut it into 12 pieces, you can use a pizza cutter or a knife. Sprinkle the top with sugar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Other nutritional information: Total Carbs: 25.6 g
Fiber: 0.8 g
Sugar: 8.9 g
Protein: 3.8 g