Pretty darn delicious chipotle chicken stuffed sweet potato skins! They’re sweet and spicy, filled with a delicious chicken and spinach filling and oh so cheesy!
Although it’s not officially summer, to me June = Summer and the weather is finally starting to agree with me. In case you didn’t know this already, I love summer and I love fresh, delicious and healthy recipes to eat in the summer. Now I don’t know if this recipe for these stuffed sweet potato skins spells summer to you, but I’d say it’s summer-ish.
A good friend of mine came over this weekend and we cooked and ate all kinds of good healthy food and had fun photographing everything we made. This is one of those recipes. We had this for lunch and it was yummy!
It was my first time making potato skins with sweet potatoes and I have to tell you they are the best. The chicken and spinach filling is a bit spicy from the chipotle peppers, so this is where I tell you to use as much as you want, if you like things spicy then go nuts, otherwise I still recommend you use a little bit, like a teaspoon of chopped chipotle peppers, just to give it that kick. I love to use chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce which is what I used here, but these guys are super mean, so make sure you taste before you add a whole chipotle pepper in there. So you’ve got sweet from the sweet potatoes and spicy from the chipotle peppers. Yeah, it’s pretty darn delicious!
Did I mention cheesy?? Oh yeah, baby!
- 3 sweet potatoes, washed
- 2 chicken breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- juice from 1 lime
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Prick sweet potatoes with a fork all around. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about an hour or until fork tender. Place your chicken in a baking dish and rub with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the oven with the potatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool and shred the chicken with a fork or your hands. When the sweet potatoes are done cut in half and allow to cool.
- In a medium size bowl combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chopped chipotle pepper, basil, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- If there is liquid in the spinach, make sure you squeeze out all the excess liquid. Toss the spinach and shredded chicken together, set aside and keep warm.
- Turn the oven up to 400 degrees. Remove the flesh out of the sweet potato, leaving a medium size layer of flesh inside with the peel so that it can stand up on its own and place in a baking dish. You can use the flesh for another use or to make mashed sweet potatoes. Brush the skins with with a little of the chipotle sauce and bake for 5-10 minutes until nice and crisp. While the skins bake mix the spinach, chicken and chipotle sauce together. Remove skins from the oven and stuff with the chicken mixture, top with shredded cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the skins are hot and crisp.
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro.
For more delicious Potato Skins try these: