Let’s face it! Is there a better sandwich out there than a BLT? OK, maybe there is, but for those of you who have never had a BLT, it stands for bacon, lettuce and tomato. 3 simple ingredients that when paired together in a sandwich make for an incredible marriage.
There could be many variations of the BLT, as I chose to do so here, I made an avocado BLT, but the main ingredients for a BLT sandwich are bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise and bread. Normally, iceberg lettuce is used because it has a lot of crunch, however my favorite type of lettuce is butter lettuce.
I also think this sandwich is somewhat healthy. I suppose it all depends on how much bacon you use, but the addition of avocado, definitely makes it healthier. Avocados are great for you, they have a lot of nutrients including fiber and potassium. All that aside, this is a sandwich full of flavor. I chose to use asiago bread which I lightly toasted, then spread a tablespoon of mayonnaise over it. It’s a simple sandwich to make, which would make for a great lunch.
- 4 slices asiago bread, lightly toasted
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked
- Cook the bacon to your desired personal preference.
- Lightly toast the bread.
- Spread a tablespoon of mayonnaise on 2 slices of bread (a tbsp on each slice).
- On top of each bread slice with mayonnaise, add 2 lettuce leaves, followed by slices of tomatoes, followed by 3 slices of bacon, then by avocado slices and another slice of bread.