Whew that was a long recipe name to type! I felt that it was important that I include everything in the title because that’s what makes this pizza special.
I’ve seen cauliflower crust pizza all over pinterest and I’ve never tried it myself, but I was intrigued and had to try it. I found the cauliflower pizza crust recipe on www.kalynskitchen.com, she has a lot of great carb free recipes, so I thought using her crust recipe would probably be the best. As far as the toppings well I didn’t have to think hard about this, I love buffalo chicken and especially buffalo chicken pizza so that’s what I decided to use, buffalo chicken with caramelized onions.
I was a bit skeptical at first because well I like cauliflower, but not the biggest fan and my husband doesn’t like it at all, so I wanted to make sure the crust didn’t end up tasting like cauliflower. This is why I love the other ingredients that go in the crust and the toppings, it truly hides the cauliflower taste and it’s just delicious. How can anything with buffalo chicken not taste good.
So I was not disappointed with this at all, in fact I was pleasantly surprised and glad I tried the cauliflower crust.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut in pieces
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 tbsp almond meal
- 3 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into very small pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup Frank’s buffalo wing sauce
- ¼ cup blue cheese
- 1½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees. Place parchment paper over a pizza stone or tray.
- Add the cauliflower to a pot with a couple cups of boiling water and cover with a lid. Cook the cauliflower for about 10 to 15 minutes until soft. Drain and place in a food processor or blender. Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender and blend until you get a tick batter. Pour the cauliflower over the parchment paper and using a spatula spread it into a circle that’s about ½ inch or less in thickness. Bake crust for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- In the meantime get the onion and chicken ready. In a skillet melt the butter and add the onion and saute until onion is caramelized about 5 to 10 minutes. Season with a bit of salt and set aside.
- In the same skillet heat the olive oil. Add chicken pieces to chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add buffalo wing sauce and stir making sure all the chicken is coated in the sauce. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Preheat oven to 500 F degrees after cauliflower crust is done.
- To assemble the pizza sprinkle a cup of the mozzarella cheese over the crust, then top with caramelized onions and then the chicken. Top with blue cheese evenly over the pizza and sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.