Caramelized Pineapple Chicken Quesadillas with Strawberry Salsa – perfect summertime eats!
Think about this combination for a second. Caramelized pineapple, chicken, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers and onions. All in a quesadilla! Coconut oil and cinnamon. Whaaat?
Strawberries and tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno peppers and lemon juice. This last combo in a spicy salsa. This may not be your typical quesadilla recipe, but it’s one that must go on your menu for this summer.
I honestly can’t think of a better recipe for summer, but I may be a bit biased here, I love quesadillas. I’d say about 80% of the time when I go to a restaurant I always tend to gravitate towards the quesadillas.
But let’s talk a bit about caramelized pineapple. Ever tried it before? I can’t even begin to tell you how delicious it is. I caramelized the pineapple in coconut oil with a bit of cinnamon sprinkled over. You have to cook it for a few minutes until you get a nice brown color on it and it will get a bit sticky from the sugar it releases. But it’s just to die for. If you don’t want to make these quesadillas I really really urge you to try the pineapple. I can just imagine this pineapple over some good vanilla ice cream.
Now you might look at these quesadillas and think that they look a bit messy. But messy is good! Messy is yummy! Messy should make you go to your kitchen right now to makes these quesadillas. They’re cheesy and a bit spicy from the jalapeno, with a bit of BBQ flavor in there.
And that strawberry salsa. I dream about that salsa. If you’ve got preconceived notions about not liking fruit in your quesadillas or sandwiches or whatever, I think you might need to rethink that a bit. Cause this right here will make your tummy happy.
- 4 large tortillas, I used corn and flour tortillas
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, cut into squares
- 3 tbps coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper julienned
- ½ small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 boneless, skinless grilled chicken breast or roasted, shredded
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- ½ cup freshly torn cilantro
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped strawberries
- ½ onion, finely diced
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ⅓ cup freshly torn cilantro
- juice from ½ lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil. Add pineapple and toss with salt and cinnamon, cooking until caramelized and golden, flipping occasionally – about 6-8 minutes.
- Place pineapple in a bowl and set aside; add another ½ teaspoon of coconut oil, tossing in onions and peppers with a pinch of salt. Stir and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add chicken to skillet and cook until heated through. Remove chicken mixture from skillet and add to the bowl with pineapple.
- Reduce the heat in the skillet to low and add another ½ tablespoons of coconut oil. Place a tortilla down and sprinkle with a quarter cup of the cheese, chicken, the pineapple, onions and peppers, and cilantro, then add another ¼ cup of cheese. Cook until tortilla is golden, then gently flip, keeping the ingredients inside, and cook until other side is golden. Repeat with remaining quesadilla, and serve with strawberry salsa.
- For salsa, combine all ingredients together in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
Inspired from How Sweet It Is