Sausage Chicken and Cheesy Rice – it’s meaty, it’s cheesy, it’s delicious soul food.
I woke up at 6:30 this morning, on a Sunday, thinking about this rice dish in my fridge, and wishing it was lunch time already so that I can have some. I’ve been thinking about it all night. It’s really good. It has smoked sausage, chicken breast, cheese and rice. That’s cheesy rice my friends.
Do you know how good that is? No? I’ll tell you. Very good, this is comfort food. This is a dish perfect for a cold winter day. This rice will comfort your soul, make you smile and make you feel good all over.
But you know what I love most about rice dishes? How easy they are to make. So easy, that you could make them on a crazy busy night after work, it literally will take you about half hour to make and most of the time you’re just waiting for the rice to cook.
Know what else is great about this dish? Perfect lunch to take to work. All your coworkers will come and ask you “what’s that, it smells really good”.
Whichever way you look at it, this dish is a winner.
- 1 chicken breast, cubed
- 5 oz smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup, diced tomatoes (either canned or fresh)
- 1 cup long grain rice (I used basmati)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet heat olive oil and add chicken and sausage to it. Cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add onion and garlic and continue cooking until onion is translucent.
- Add rice, tomatoes, chicken broth and heavy cream to skillet. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 10 min or until rice is done.
- Add cheese and green onions and stir, cook until cheese melts.
Calories may vary depending on products and brands used.