Turkey Tacos – Tacos with turkey simmered in dark beer and served with your favorite toppings.
Yesterday, for no reason at all except maybe to make my dog happy, I roasted a big old turkey. Yep, on a very hot day I decided to have my oven on for a few hours. Silly of me I know, but yes, my dog was very happy, and she’ll be very happy for the rest of the week.
I do have a lot of turkey left over though. Remember, it’s just my husband and I, and my dog, so there’s only so much turkey one can eat. I don’t want it to go to waste either, so sometimes I have to be creative and come up with some other ways to use left over turkey.
Sandwiches are a great idea, turkey soup another wonderful idea. But I wanted something a bit different. I love tacos, my husband not so much, well at least not the ones from the fast food restaurants. My tacos though, he loved, well he better anyway.
The thing I like about tacos is that you can use whatever toppings you like, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, and whatever else you can think of. So for something that is very easy to make, you get a lot flavor and a delicious supper. Obviously you can use chicken for this as well.
Now I used a secret ingredient in my taco turkey mixture and that is dark beer, oh yeah, I just love adding alcohol to food, makes it all better. It’s in that same category with bacon makes everything better, so does alcohol. 🙂
Another favorite ingredient of mine that I added as a topping to these tacos is avocado. I never used to like avocado before, but lately I just love it, I love it in guacamole, I love it raw, I just can’t get enough of it.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¾ lb shredded or chopped turkey (dark or white meat)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ bottle of any dark beer
- 4 diced tomatoes
- 8 taco shells
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil then add the chopped onion and the diced garlic. Saute until the onion is tender and translucent. Add the jalapeno pepper and the turkey. The turkey can either be shredded or chopped, and you can use both dark or white meat.
- Add the cumin, salt and pepper and stir. Add the diced tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes until the tomatoes are tender.
- Add the beer and simmer until the beer has reduced and the turkey mixture has thickened.
- Assemble your tacos, or do it as a family at the dinner table, adding your favorite toppings.