The Grilled Works – the best grilled cheese sandwich with caramelized onions, shiitake mushrooms and roasted red peppers.
I can’t stop watching the foodnetwork channel. All weekend long all I watched is Guy Fieri’s Diner’s, Drive-Ins and Dives and the Canadian version You Gotta Eat Here. So as I was watching one of these shows I saw them make this grilled sandwich and I was drooling.
Well I had to try it, it sure seemed simple enough and I had all the ingredients on hand. Who doesn’t love a grilled sandwich. The ingredients are simple, onions, shiitake mushrooms, though regular white mushrooms would work as well, roasted red peppers, Swiss cheese and Havarti cheese. The onions are caramelized in a little bit of butter which I totally love. It’s such a simple grilled cheese sandwich but it’s the kind of sandwich which you can expect at a high end restaurant, that’s how good it is.
This would be perfect with a cup of homemade tomato soup, however I didn’t have any but it didn’t matter, these sandwiches were gone so quickly, there was no time to think about having a soup with them.
- 4 slices bread, I used Rye bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 3 roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- Add butter to a skillet and caramelize the onions for a couple minutes. Add mushrooms and saute for another couple minutes after which you can add the roasted pepper and saute one more minute.
- Lay slices of cheese, Swiss on one slice, Havarti on the other, repeat for the other sandwich.
- Add grilled veggies and put under a panini press. Grill until cheese melts.