Double Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes with Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting – delicious and sinful chocolate coconut cupcakes with a simple 2 ingredient Nutella cream cheese frosting.
I have to be honest with you here. I am not into making cupcakes. I’ve made them a few times, failed a few times, but the reason really is because I don’t usually like thick buttercream frostings. So I simply won’t make them. But there is one thing I do like and that is Nutella. I was so disappointed to find out I just missed World National Nutella day, me of all people. I have loved Nutella all my life. So here I am making up for that, because I feel I need to make that up to you, in case you were waiting for a Nutella recipe from me.
So I had to make something special. With Valentine’s day just around the corner, I thought cupcakes would be perfect, but not with that heavy yucky butter cream. No my friends. I made a Nutella cream cheese frosting which is to die for! And the cupcakes are pretty good on their own too. Double chocolate coconut cupcakes. Yep, I packed all kinds of good flavors in these little morsels.
I was afraid to calculate the calories for these babies, but in the end it wasn’t as bad as I thought, 271 calories per cupcake including the nutella frosting. Now this will make around 30 cupcakes, so feel free to cut the recipe in half. I do have a tip for you, and this is from a non cupcake maker, do not overfill your cupcake liners, only fill them halfway through or maybe 3/4 but no more. I did that before, I filled the liners almost to the top and I don’t think I need to tell you what happened. It wasn’t pretty, delicious, but not pretty.
But these cupcakes are to die for, the cupcake alone is chocolaty and you can taste that coconut, and that Nutella cream cheese frosting is creamy and simply fabulicious. I think these are perfect to make for that special someone for Valentine’s day, that someone you love and adore. That special someone that loves Nutella, they will adore you after they eat these puppies.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Double Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes with Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- To make the cupcake batter, add all ingredients to the bowl of your mixer and mix until you get a thin batter. Pour batter into cupcake liners. I used a medium size ice cream scoop, I found it was the perfect amount of batter I need for each cupcake.
- Bake cupcakes for about 12 minutes, but start checking in on them after about 8 minutes and do the toothpick test until it comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely.
- To make the nutella cream cheese frosting, simply mix the nutella and cream cheese together in a mixing bowl, pour in a piping bag, or simply a ziploc bag and seal it. Place the bag in the fridge for about an hour so that it hardens a bit.
- Pipe the Nutella cream cheese frosting over each cupcake and top with sprinkles if preferred.
What you’ll need: