This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Strawberry Shortcake – a delicious dessert with sweet and juicy strawberries, homemade whipped cream in between a yummy biscuit.
I know it’s not strawberry season, but on our last trip to Costco I bought these huge gorgeous strawberries and I just had to make something with them. First thing that popped in my head was strawberry shortcakes with lightly sweetened cream biscuits, a vanilla whipped cream and of course delicious strawberries sprinkled with sugar and some lemon zest and juice. I hope I’ve sold you on them, because they sure were great. Almost felt like spring was here.
The biscuits themselves are really easy to make, I made the dough by hand just using a pastry blender to cut in the butter, but you could definitely place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse all the ingredients until it resembles coarse meal. I used a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter to cut them into perfect little rounds.
I didn’t brush them with anything, but you could either brush them with some egg wash or just some milk. Now the strawberries together with the lemon zest and lemon juice and a bit of sugar are to die for. And the longer they stay in the bowl those delicious flavors have a chance to combine and marry each other and you end up with sweet lemony strawberries. If you have any leftover you will love to just eat them on their own like that.
These shortcakes are completed with this amazing whipped cream with just a touch of vanilla and a bit of icing sugar. But nothing beats homemade whipped cream. Let me just say I was so tempted to pipe some whipped cream straight in my mouth. And if noone is watching, do it.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
For Strawberry Topping
- 1 pound strawberries , stemmed and chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon
- In a medium sized bowl, mix strawberries with 2 tablespoons sugar lemon zest and lemon juice. Toss well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and mix together. Add butter and cut cut it in using a pastry cutter or 2 knives or forks until it resembles peas. In a small bowl whisk together the half and half and the 2 eggs and add to the bowl with flour mixture. Stir with a fork and then eventually use your hands to mix the dough a bit until it comes together. Turn the dough onto your work surface and knead until it's no longer crumbles and it all comes together. Roll out so that it's about 1 inch in thickness then using a 2 1/2 inch cutter cut into circles. You should get about 12 biscuits.
- Place biscuit on prepared baking sheet and bake for about 18 minutes or until golden.
- To make the whipped topping add whipped topping ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix on high until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble shortcakes cut each biscuit in half. Spoon some of the whipped topping then strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Place the shortcake on top. Spoon more strawberries over the top if preferred and serve.