This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These chocolate coconut cookies are to die for. I was looking through my cookie books last night and came across this wonderful cookie recipe. I have to tell you I was really impressed with them, primarily because they look like little bags filled with goodies. They are so adorable and let me tell you, they taste amazing. I love these cookies.
Although they are not that simple to put together, they are worth all the effort and wait. Trust me, they make up in flavor.
First you’ll need some cream cheese, and to me any cookie that has cream cheese in it, is a winner. Place 6 oz of cream cheese in the bowl of a mixer.
Next you’ll need 3/4 cup of sugar.
Add the sugar to the bowl with cream cheese and mix well until smooth and light. Add the egg yolk, vanilla extract and continue mixing for about a minute.
And now my favorite ingredient in this cookie, the shredded coconut, the star of the show.
Add the coconut into the mixer bowl and mix until the coconut is well incorporated. And that’s that for the filling.
Next we need to make the cookie dough. In a mixer bowl, add the butter and the 1 cup of sugar. Beat well until it’s light and fluffy, add egg and continue mixing until smooth.
In a medium size bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
Ad the flour mixture to the butter mixture in the bowl and mix it all up together. Dough should be stiff but pliable, sort of like putty.
Using a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon, spoon out about one tablespoon of the cookie dough into your hand. Flatten the dough into a circle that’s about 2 inch to 3 inch in diameter. In the middle of the circle add about a tsp of the coconut mixture and then fold the sides of the cookie dough but do not seal it at the top. This is the part that’s a bit time consuming. Repeat this with remaining cookie dough. Place the cookies on a greased cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with a silpat. If you have coconut mixture left over, do not throw it out, just spoon a tablespoon onto the cookie sheet and bake it along with the cookies, and they will turn out into cute little macaroons.
Bake the cookies at 375 F degrees for about 18 to 20 minutes. Then you have these gorgeous jewels. They are absolutely decadent.
This chocolate coconut cookie recipe is adapted from The Ultimate Chocolate Cookie Book: From Chocolate Melties to Whoopie Pies, Chocolate Biscotti to Black and Whites, with Dozens of Chocolate Chip Cookies and Hundreds MoreCooking, Food & Wine Books)
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Chocolate Coconut Cookies
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- This cookie recipe makes 30 cookies.
- Beat the cream cheese with the 3/4 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk, and vanilla extract and continue mixing for another minute.
- Add the shredded coconut and continue beating until everything is well incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. In the bowl of a mixer add the butter and sugar and beat together until light and fluffy, add the egg and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until the mixture is stiff but still pliable.
- Using a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon, spoon out about one tablespoon of the cookie dough into your hand. Flatten the dough into a circle thatâ€™s about 2 inch to 3 inch in diameter. In the middle of the circle add about a tsp of the coconut mixture and then fold the sides of the cookie dough but do not seal it at the top.
- Repeat this with remaining cookie dough.
- Place the cookies on a greased cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with a silpat.
- Bake the cookies for about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.