Last updated on August 8th, 2017 at 11:31 am
Greek Savory Cheese Pie – a traditional and very popular European treat. A cheese pie filling made with bechamel sauce, feta cheese, ricotta between 2 layers of puff pastry.
We all have our weaknesses when it comes to food, cheese pies are my weakness. For some reason cheese pies are not so popular in North America, they’re more of a European treat, which makes me really sad because savory cheese pies are to die for. I have a few versions of cheese pies here and this version here is a Greek Savory Cheese Pie with bechamel sauce.
Cheese pies are so amazing, you simply have to try one and you will fall in love. Although they’re not so popular here, I grew up eating cheese pies being from a European background. You can find these at special European stores or Turkish stores or at Greek Restaurants. It is similar to a spanakopita. This savory cheese pie that I attempted today, is more of a Greek version of it because it has bechamel sauce but don’t let that scare you, it’s fairly simple to make. I made this today and we just gobbled it all up. I really hope you’ll give it a try at least once and you’ll know what I’m talking about.
The filling for this pie is a mixture of bechamel sauce with feta cheese, ricotta cheese and eggs. You don’t have to worry about the puff pastry, it’s store bought so it’s super simple to use, basically lay out one puff pastry sheet, top with filling and lay another rolled out pastry on top. You then simply brush it with egg wash, cut a few holes in it with a knife and bake for about an hour.
You’ll notice as it bakes it will puff up and I think that’s due to the bechamel sauce and the eggs, and after you let it cool it might collapse a little bit in the middle, but not worry, it’s all good.
Waiting for this pie to cool is probably the hardest thing you’ll have to do. So get out of your comfort zone and try this pie!
Greek Savory Cheese PiePrint Pin Rate
- 2 tbsp flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 250 gr ricotta cheese
- 400 gr feta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 bechamel sauce
- 2 pieces puff pastry
- 1 egg for egg wash
To make bechamel sauce
- In a saucepan melt the butter and add the flour. With a whisk, whisk in the flour. Keep whisking for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the milk, nutmeg and salt and whisk everything together. Cook for another 5 minutes and whisk as necessary.
To make cheese pie
- After you've made the bechamel sauce add the ricotta and the grated feta cheese and stir in well. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the eggs one at a time into the cheese mixture stirring well after each one.
- On a floured surface roll out the puff pastry, it should be fairly thin. Place the first sheet onto a unfloured and ungreased 9x13 inch baking pan. The pastry should come up the sides of the pan.
- Add the cheese mixture and then roll out the 2nd piece of pastry and place it on top of the cheese, tucking in the sides nicely.
- Brush with egg and poke a few holes with a fork or a knife
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 min to an hour.