Spanakopita is one of our favorite here and I love to make different variations of it. This is one of those spinach and cheese pies that we never have enough of. When my husband saw I was making this he was super excited.
This version is an easier version of spanakopita and it requires very few simple ingredients. It’s also easier to make the spanakopita this way versus making individual spanakopita and folding each one in a triangle, as seen here. So I’m all about easy recipes. This version of spanakopita is made in a pan, and then cut into pieces. You’re not losing any of the classic spanakopita flavors, you’re just making your life easier.
This recipe does make quite a few spanakopita bites, but if you’re a fan of it as much as we are, trust me when I say it won’t last long. It could be gone as soon as it’s out of the oven.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
- 1 egg
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups crumbled feta
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, spinach and cheeses; set aside.
- Brush a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with some of the butter.
- Layer eight sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Spread with spinach mixture. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Cover and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-inch - 2-inch pieces. Bake at 350 F degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.