Last updated on August 8th, 2017 at 11:33 am
These apple and almond squares are loaded with apples and almonds, perfect fall flavors.
Here are a few things I love about fall:
I love the colors.
Scary movies on TV.
The smell of bonfires in the air at night.
Baking with pumpkins.
Baking with apples.
Which brings me to today’s recipe. A good recipe for the fall yet a simple recipe for apple and almond squares. Nothing spells fall to me more than eating and baking with apples. I remember as a teenager, we used to go with my parents to pick apples at a nearby orchard. We used to have so much fun running around, picking the best apples and eating apples until we couldn’t eat anymore.
What are some of your favorite fall things?
Apple and Almond Squares
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees and line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Toss the chopped apples with the brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In a medium bowl add the flour, salt, and baking powder and combine.
- In the bowl of your mixer add the eggs and add the vanilla, sour cream, sugar, vegetable oil and mix everything together until smooth about 2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and using a paddle attachment mix until everything is well incorporated. Add the apple mixture to the bowl and using a spatula mix everything together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then top with the slivered almonds.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until done, when a toothpick is inserted into the center, it should come out clean.