Last updated on January 20th, 2017 at 05:55 pm
Eggs in Cheesy Purgatory – a spicy and savory breakfast also known as Shakshuka. Baked eggs in a delicious spicy tomato sauce and loaded with cheese, perfect start to any day!
Welcome to purgatory, my friends! Eggs in cheesy purgatory that is. What were you thinking? This is not that kind of blog.
Before I tell you about this cheesy hellish recipe, I have some news to tell you. Some exciting news. I just found out that my cookbook is now available for pre-order and I am super stoked. Can you believe it? I can finally say that I am officially an author, a published cookbook author! The book features 80 recipes that you can make in 30 minutes and in only one pot! How cool is that? Who doesn’t love quick meals and less cleanup, I know I do. I’m all about that, that’s why I wrote the book. HA!
You can order my “30-Minute One-Pot Meals” book at:
Which brings me to today’s recipes which is one of my favorite breakfasts, all in one skillet and all in 25 minutes. This is similar to a recipe you will find in my book, but these are the kind of recipes you will find, quick and easy, most of them are dinner recipes and of course all in one pot. Now eggs in purgatory are also called Shakshuka and believe it or not I only had my first shakshuka only about 3 or 4 years ago when I took a cooking class and before then I had never had anything like this before, meaning eggs in a tomato sauce. Well I loved it and ever since then I’ve been making it on weekends and loving it.
Obviously there are many versions of this recipe, but this is my simple version, using store bought marinara sauce because I like to take shortcuts wherever I can. I also used about a tsp of red chili flakes which for me, gives this dish just the right amount of heat, but feel free to adjust that based on your preference. And of course, let’s not forget about the cheesy part. I used fresh mozzarella cheese, I didn’t shred it or anything, I just cut it in slices and then added it around the eggs. As this bakes the cheese melts, turning this dish into cheesy goodness. To me this is the perfect start to any day.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups store-bought marinara sauce
- 4 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz fresh Mozzarella cheese cut into slices.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a large ovenproof skillet heat the olive oil then add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion becomes soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute just until the garlic becomes aromatic.
- Add the marinara sauce, chopped basil, red chili flakes and season with salt and pepper. For more heat add more red chili flakes. Bring the sauce to a boil the remove the skillet from the heat.
- Gently crack the eggs in the skillet over the tomatoes and top the fresh Mozzarella cheese around the eggs.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the eggs are just set. Garnish with additional basil and serve warm.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.