Last updated on May 30th, 2018 at 06:07 pm
This Beef Stroganoff Soup takes all the rich and delicious flavors of Beef Stroganoff and transforms them into a one-pot 30-minute soup, full of tender beef and loads of noodles.
I know what you’re probably thinking, it’s not soup season anymore, but trust me when I tell you it’s still soup season here in Calgary. It’s cold people, this week we’ve had snow, rain, hail and sunshine! We’ve had it all. Which is why I feel justified in sharing a soup recipe with you guys.
For those of you who like a little trivia, Beef Stroganoff is actually a Russian dish, which I’m sure the name gave it away, of sautéed beef served in a sour cream sauce. Apparently, its origins are from somewhere in the mid 19th century, but since then has become really popular with many different variations.
This Beef Stroganoff soup is pretty close to the original, except I made a soup version. Pretty simple too, and all done in 30 minutes. It’s just so perfect and comforting.
This is the kind of soup that I grew up with. My mom would make soups like this often, and it’s quite popular in Romanian cuisine to add sour cream to our soups. The only difference is we make ours a bit sour by adding acidity from either vinegar or lemon juice. Trust me, these soups are amazing because they really are a meal on their own. Serve these with some nice toasted crusty bread and you’ve got perfection.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Beef Stroganoff Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 lb beef sirloin cut into thin strips
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms stems trimmed and sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 8 cups beef broth low sodium
- 4 oz egg noodles dry
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- In a large Dutch oven add the olive oil and butter and heat over medium-high heat. Add the beef sirloin pieces and generously season with salt and pepper. Cook until the meat is slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer the meat to a plate.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, stir and saute until the vegetables soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, and the beef broth. Stir everything together, bring to a boil then add the beef back to the pot. Stir in the noodles and cook for about 8 minutes or until the noodles are cooked to your liking.
- In a small bowl whisk the sour cream together with about 1/2 cup of the hot soup then pour back into the pot and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!