Last updated on March 13th, 2018 at 08:36 pm
Learn how to make this super Easy Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma, plus an out of this world garlic sauce and prepare your own chicken shawarma wraps. Beats takeout or fast food!
At the risk of sounding like I’m exaggerating, this chicken truly is the best. I made this last weekend and I couldn’t wait to share this recipe with you guys. Hubs loves chicken shawarma and he loves going to Extreme Pita almost every week to get his chicken shawarma wrap with tabbouleh salad. It’s his favorite there, but no surprise there since he loves his sandwiches and wraps.
I decided to surprise him and make my own chicken shawarma wraps with my own homemade tabbouleh salad and garlic sauce. First let me just say that this garlic sauce is money, you can’t have a chicken shawarma wrap without garlic sauce and it’s so easy to make, all you have to do is just put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Obviously this isn’t an authentic shawarma because I roasted mine in the oven, whereas it’s usually prepared on a spit and it can be grilled for as long as a day. Well I don’t have a day so this is the speedy method. However it is important to marinate your chicken, the flavors here are to die for, and the chicken will melt in your mouth. It’s also a bit spicy from the red pepper flakes, so if you don’t like heat, just omit them.
You’ll want to roast the chicken at a pretty high temperature like 425 F degrees because you want it to crisp up. I also turned the broiler on for about 3 minutes to crisp it up a bit more. After the chicken roasts until crisp you need to let it rest for about 5 minutes and then you can slice into bits. So when I made this I also made the tabbouleh salad as the chicken was roasting along with the garlic sauce, since you’ll need these for your wraps if you’re even making wraps. You could eat the chicken as is with some rice, but I still recommend the garlic sauce for that true Arabic experience.
I also spread some hummus over my wraps but you can totally skip the hummus and just add tabbouleh salad, chicken shawarma and plenty of that garlic sauce. Well I sure did surprise my hubs because he loved this. I know when he’s really enjoying a meal because he’s not complaining and there’s just silence as he’s eating, maybe a moan here and there. The only problem is that now he’s asking for chicken shawarma wraps every single day.
These wraps are a flavor bomb and it’ll beat any chicken shawarma take out. they’re perfect for lunch or dinner, you can even wrap them up in foil and take them to a picnic. They’ll be delicious!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Easy Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 egg white*
- 1 tsp salt
Chicken Shawarma Wraps
- tabbouleh salad
- garlic sauce
- pita wraps
- In a large bowl add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, cumin, black pepper, paprika, turmeric, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, garlic, and whisk well. Add the chicken and toss making sure the chicken is well coated in the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least an hour. The longer the meat marinates the more flavour you'll have.
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Add sliced onion to bowl with chicken and toss well so that the onion is fully coated in the marinade. Add everything to a 9x13 baking dish. I didn't have much marinade leftover since the chicken absorbed most of it, so that's why I added everything to the baking dish. Spread everything evenly over the baking dish.
- Bake in the oven until the chicken is browned and crisp on the edges, for about 40 to 45 minutes. If you want the chicken crispier on top, turn the broiler on to high and broil for 3 minutes until nice and crispy on the outside.
- Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes, then slice it into bits.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, it should take 1 to 2 minutes. This recipe will make about 1 1/2 cups of sauce, refrigerate leftover sauce.
Chicken Shawarma Wraps
- To make the chicken shawarma wraps, warm up the wraps first in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then spread some hummus over each wrap, spoon about 2 or 3 tbsp of tabbouleh salad, add chicken shawarma, and drizzle with garlic sauce and serve.