Last updated on January 18th, 2018 at 08:24 pm
Slow Cooker Short Ribs – simple to make short ribs slowly cooked in beer with carrots and parsnips. Fall off the bone tender and delicious.
If I were a super creative and crafty person, during this time of the year I’d come to you with fancy and spooky decorated cookie recipes for halloween. As it stands right now, I kind of suck at that so here I am bringing you a slow cooker recipe instead. Slow cooker short ribs to be more precise.
It may not be a Halloween-ish type of recipe, but it’s a great weeknight-ish kind of dinner. An easy one at that. One where you put all the ingredients in the crockpot, turn it on and forget about for 8 hours. OK you do have to sear the ribs first to get that nice brown color on them but it doesn’t take long and you can do this the night before so that it’s ready in the morning to just turn on the crockpot. Then when you come home from work all beat and tired and are in need of a comforting meal, one where you don’t have to slave over. You know what I’m talking about.
This is why I don’t feel so bad when I give you short ribs over Halloween cookies. Because while the Halloween cookies are great, you still need to eat some real food.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Slow Cooker Short Ribs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 lbs beef chuck short ribs bone-in
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 medium onion peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots cut into large chunks
- 2 parsnips cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp rosemary dried
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley stems and leaves separated
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dark stout beer 12-ounce, such as Guinness
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, brown the short ribs, in batches, until they are browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- While the short ribs are browning, place a layer of onion and carrot pieces into the bottom of a slow cooker and season them with salt and pepper. Place the browned meat on top. Add the remaining onions and carrots along with the parsnips and herbs. Add Worcestershire and pour over the stout and add enough water to almost cover the contents. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
- To serve, carefully remove the meat and vegetables from the slow cooker. Strain the juices. Serve the ribs with the juice and garnish with chopped parsley leaves.