Last updated on April 13th, 2019 at 10:32 pm
Roasted Cauliflower and Mushrooms Carbonara Pasta – a twist on a classic, loaded with veggies and full of flavor.
I feel as though I’ve abandoned my friend the bacon. It’s been a while since I’ve cooked with bacon. Don’t really know why. Maybe it’s because as much as I love bacon, I hate frying bacon. Can you buy ready fried bacon? It probably wouldn’t taste the same.
The thing is you can’t make carbonara pasta without bacon! The main ingredients in a carbonara dish are bacon, eggs, cheese and black pepper, so you see it’s a must! I know some of you are going to ask what if I don’t eat pork. Well then use chicken bacon, or turkey bacon. I love all kinds of bacon, chicken, turkey but pork is king.
Now because we all need veggies in our diet, I have some good news for you. We have roasted cauliflower and mushrooms in this yummy pasta. I for one love my roasted cauliflower, even though pretty much every single time I roast it I set off the fire alarm in the house. My neighbours must think I’m a total klutz in the kitchen.
You know what else I’ve done? I used organic gluten free brown rice spaghetti. I’ll admit it wasn’t planned, it just happened to be the only spaghetti I had in the pantry from when I went to Planet Organic and filled my shopping cart with gluten-free pasta. So although there’s bacon in this dish, overall I’d say this is a fairly healthy pasta.
Roasted Cauliflower and Mushrooms Carbonara PastaPrint Pin Rate
- 8 oz Spaghetti I used brown rice spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small head cauliflower cut into florets
- 8 mushrooms quartered
- 6 slices bacon fried
- 2 eggs
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Toss the cauliflower and mushrooms in the oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast until they start to caramelize, about 30 to 40 minutes, mixing half way through.
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Cook the bacon in a pan, pour off all but a tablespoon of the grease from the pan, add the garlic, cook for 30 second and turn off the heat.
- Mix the egg, cheese, pepper and salt and parsley in a bowl.
- Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
- Mix the pasta, egg mixture, cauliflower and mushrooms into the pan with the bacon, adding reserved pasta water as needed.
Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking