Last updated on April 13th, 2019 at 10:45 pm
Slimmed Down Spaghetti & Chicken Meatballs – for when you’re feeling ravenous but don’t want the calories.
As much as I love eating spaghetti and meatballs I don’t make them very often. Honestly. It’s one of those dishes that is so easy to make, but for whatever reason, I don’t make them often.
But I do make my Romanian version of meatballs quite often. And those are good, so very good.
Since I wanted a bit healthier version of spaghetti and meatballs, I used chicken to make the meatballs. I won’t deny the fact that pork meatballs have more flavor because of the fat in them, but you can make chicken meatballs taste pretty good as well.
How did I do that, you ask?
With Frank’s hot sauce of course, I love that stuff, add enough of it in any dish and it brings everything to life. I added some other good stuff as well, such as some ricotta cheese and basil. Not to get off topic here, but I love fresh basil. It smells heavenly. Anyway, the chicken meatballs turned out pretty darn good for having not much fat in them, aside from whatever fat was in the chicken. I decided to bake them, but feel free to fry them if you want, I have fried them before and baked them as well. They taste just as good either way.
Also to make this meal a quick week night dinner meal, I used spaghetti sauce our of a jar, so feel free to use your favorite spaghetti sauce.
One last thing I’d like to stress is how important it is to use fresh Parmesan cheese. I know it’s expensive, but you don’t have to use a lot, and it really does last me a long time. The flavor is just so much better, you can’t even compare it.
Slimmed Down Spaghetti & Chicken MeatballsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tbsp Frank's hot sauce
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 package spaghetti
- 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh basil finely sliced
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a big bowl, mix all meatball ingredients together. Form the meat into small round meatballs.Place them on a cookie sheet.Bake them for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions.
- In a skillet add the meatballs and the spaghetti sauce. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the spaghetti and pour sauce and meatballs over pasta and toss. Garnish with basil and fresh Parmesan cheese.