Nothing is easier than this 2 Ingredient Dough recipe! No yeast required, no kneading, just 2 simple ingredients! Featuring simple instructions for dinner rolls, pizza, pretzel bites, and flatbread.
You all know I love to bake up a storm! From cakes to pies, cookies, and, especially, homemade bread. Sometimes I just don’t have the time or energy to make a yeast dough. When I discovered this easy 2 ingredient dough recipe, it totally changed my baking game!
A good friend of mine actually told me about this recipe, and she uses it to make bagels. She couldn’t rave about enough, so I just knew I had to try it.
While I don’t recommend using this recipe to make a full loaf of bread, it’s a great way to make the easiest possible homemade dinner rolls, flatbreads, pizzas, or pretzel bites or even bagels. Time to throw together the most simple recipe you’ve ever seen!
Keep scrolling down to the recipe card for a list of FULL ingredient amounts and instructions or click the “Jump to Recipe” button at the top of the page!
- Self-rising flour – Check the section below for more details. This is a combination of all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Greek yogurt – Plain. You can use no fat, low fat, or full fat. I prefer using a Greek plain yogurt since I find it’s a bit thicker, but feel free to use whatever yogurt you have in your fridge. The yogurt is usually added to dough to tenderize it. Because of its acidity, yogurt will relax the gluten, thus making the bread more tender.
What is self-rising flour?
This is simply a mixture of all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. You can make your own with 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. Super simple, so if you don’t have self-rising flour in your pantry, don’t worry, you can make it yourself! The baking powder is what actually makes the dough rise when you bake it.
How to make 2 ingredient dough
There really is only 1 step to making this dough. It’s very easy to make too, I made it in my mixer but if you don’t have one, don’t worry, you can mix it by hand too.
- Make dough: Add the flour and yogurt to the bowl of your mixer and mix on medium speed using the dough hook attachment until the dough comes together and comes clean from the side of the bowl. If you don’t have a mixer, add the ingredients to a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined, then use your hands to knead the dough a few times until smooth and comes together.
If you find the dough is too sticky, you can add 1 tablespoon of flour into the dough at a time until it’s smooth. The dough should be a bit sticky though and soft, so when you work with it, make sure you flour your work surface and your hands really well.
What to make with 2 ingredient dough
There are so many great recipes you can create with this simple dough! Get creative with your dough and try new things. I actually doubled the recipe here and made 8 dinner rolls which were so good, they were gone in minutes. Here are a few basics to have fun with:
- Flour your work surface well and place the dough on the floured surface. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces using a dough cutter or a sharp knife, then roll each piece into a roll. Using a sharp knife make a couple small incisions on the top of each bun, that’s about 1/4 inch deep. This is purely to make the dinner rolls look nicer.
- Place them in a buttered cast iron skillet or oven safe skillet and transfer them to a preheated oven at 350 F degrees and bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Roll the dough out to your desired pizza crust thickness. Add your sauce, cheese, and toppings, then bake at 450F for 12-18 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half and roll each piece into a long 1″ thick rope. Cut the ropes into bite sized pieces.
- Optional: Dissolve 1 tbsp baking soda into 1/2 cup hot water. Dunk each bite into this mixture and place on a baking sheet.
- Brush the bites with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse grain sea salt. Bake at 425F for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Divide the dough into either 6 or 8 equal sized pieces, depending if you want small or large flatbreads. Roll each piece to your desired shape.
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the flatbreads on each side until browned and bubbly.
How to store unbaked 2 ingredient dough
If you want to make this dough in advance, you can. Tightly wrap the dough with plastic wrap. You can also cut it up into portions and wrap them up individually. The dough will last 3 days refrigerated or 1 month frozen. So double up on the recipe and have it ready for whenever you need some dinner rolls.
Whether you’ve stored the dough in the freezer or fridge, let it slowly warm up on the counter to room temperature, still wrapped, before using it.
Check out some of my favorite homemade bread recipes:
- Naan Bread
- Soft Buttermilk Rolls
- Irish Soda Bread
- Pizza Dough Recipe
- World’s Greatest Soft Pretzels
- Garlic Parmesan Skillet Rolls
- No Knead Bread
- White Bread Recipe
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
2 Ingredient Dough
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Make dough: Add the flour and yogurt to the bowl of your mixer and mix on medium speed using the dough hook until the dough comes together and comes clean from the side of the bowl. If you don't have a mixer, add the ingredients to a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined, then use your hands to knead the dough a few times until smooth and comes together.
- Dough too sticky: Add a tablespoon of flour at a time, until smooth and workable.
- Make ahead: Tightly wrap the dough with plastic wrap. You can also cut it up into portions and wrap them up individually. The dough will last 3 days refrigerated or 1 month frozen.
- Whether you’ve stored the dough in the freezer or fridge, let it slowly warm up on the counter to room temperature, still wrapped, before using it.