Last updated on June 6th, 2018 at 02:20 pm
Bang Bang Chicken – From the super crispy chicken coated in buttermilk and Panko breadcrumbs to the delicious sweet chili mayo, this recipe is perfection! You won’t be able to keep your hands off it.
Would you believe it if I told you I don’t make a lot of fried food? Seriously, I don’t, maybe if I had a deep frier I’d fry more, but as it is right now, I really don’t. But there are exceptions that I make and one of them is for this bang bang chicken with this banging sweet chili mayo sauce. This is one of those dishes where I have to fight my husband to stay out of the kitchen until I’m done, otherwise he’ll eat all the chicken before I can even serve it.
You might wonder what bang bang chicken actually is, and as far as I know, it’s a snack that was traditionally served in China by street vendors and it’s usually cooked chicken served cold drizzled with a spicy sauce. Apparently the recipe was named bang bang chicken because of the batons that were used to hammer the cleaver blades that loosened the chicken fibres for shredding.
However, this chicken isn’t shredded but it is cut into small pieces, and feel free to cut them as big or small as you wish. The chicken is then drenched in this buttermilk batter that’s spiced with some paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper and some hot sauce, then dredged through some Panko breadcrumbs.
I really would recommend going with the Panko breadcrumbs in this recipe, and not regular breadcrumbs, because I think it makes all the difference if you want to end up with super crispy chicken bites.
The sauce is a simple mayonnaise sauce sweetened with honey and a sweet chili sauce and then kicked up a notch with some hot sauce for that extra spiciness. Make sure to make plenty of sauce to drizzle over the chicken, and then use the leftover to dip your chicken in. The sauce really is what make this chicken banging delicious!
If you have leftover chicken, I know, it sounds crazy, but if you do, you can use the leftovers to make these incredible wraps. I used the leftover sauce to spread over tortillas, sliced up some of the chicken, then loaded it up with alfalfa sprouts, cilantro and lettuce, then finally drizzle with some lime juice. The result is crazy good bang bang chicken wraps!
Try my Bang Bang Shrimp if you loved this recipe!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Bang Bang Chicken
- To prepare the sauce, mix all the ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready for serving.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. To the bowl add the hot sauce, egg, buttermilk and whisk until you have a smooth batter. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl, toss to make sure each piece is coated in the batter and set aside.
- In another bowl add about a cup of Panko breadcrumbs.
- Add about 1/2 inch of oil in a large skillet and heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Coat each piece of chicken with breadcrumbs, add more breadcrumbs as needed, and fry on both sides for about 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Place on paper napkins to soak up some of the oil. Repeat with all chicken pieces. Do not overcrowd the chicken, only add a few pieces of chicken to the skillet at a time, so the chicken turns out crispy.
- Drizzle chicken with sauce and serve.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe originally shared October 23, 2012.