BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese – a 30 minute delicious meal that’s perfect for the entire family. Take your classic mac and cheese to a whole new level of flavor!
Sometimes Friday couldn’t come soon enough. And although Fridays we usually eat out or order take out, today I decided to make a quick dinner. I love quick dinners that you can finish in 30 minutes or less. Especially after a long day at work, because by the time I get home, I’m pretty much brain dead. Completely mentally exhausted.
That’s why I love this meal. Not much thinking required. As usual I wanted to throw in some veggies in there, so I had these beautiful oyster mushrooms, which you can totally skip or use regular mushrooms, and threw in some peas as well. I guess I feel guilty when I eat mac and cheese, but somehow I don’t feel guilty anymore if I know there are some veggies in there. Some broccoli would work great as well if you don’t want or like mushrooms. But I just love this style of mac and cheese because it’s so versatile. You can literally use any veggies you love and need I mention that this is a perfect way to get your kids to eat some veggies? They’re well hidden in the sauce, so I guarantee you won’t hear any complaints.
The addition of a bit of BBQ sauce to this cheese sauce raises the bar on this basic cheese sauce and introduces a new flavor dimension. Not to mention the addition of chicken breast turns this mac and cheese into a real hearty and super filling meal. So there you have it my friends. Turn your boring mac and cheese into this awesome and fabulous mac and cheese with bbq chicken and of course some veggies.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
BBQ Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow pasta uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms chopped (any mushrooms would work here)
- 1/2 cup peas frozen, thawed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, you can use a blend of cheeses too
- 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce
- 2 chicken breasts cooked, cut in cubes or shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- chives for garnish
- Cook elbow pasta according to package instructions.
- In a small skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until slightly browned. Add peas and cook for one more minute. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan add milk and flour. Whisk the flour in the milk. Bring milk to a boil, continue whisking, milk will thicken from flour. Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir or whisk until cheese melts.
- Add BBQ sauce and chicken to sauce and stir. Add peas and mushrooms and stir until everything is coated in the sauce. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and toss.
- Garnish with chives and serve with additional cheddar cheese on top. If preferred, you can place the pasta in a casserole dish, top with additional cheese, breadcrumbs and put under a broiler until cheese melts.