Last updated on September 3rd, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Berry Berry Summer Pie – strawberries, blueberries and raspberries all in one delicious pie with your own homemade pie crust. Totally delicious!
One of the main reason I love summer, besides the heat, is the abundance of berries and fruits. Not only do I love eating them fresh but I also love to cook and bake with them. Seeing that strawberries are in season I decided to make a pie, but I wanted different berries in there as well, so I added raspberries and blueberries. Now you don’t need to mix your berries, if you wanted you could do just a blueberry pie or just raspberry pie.
A couple weeks ago a friend and I had lunch at a pies place here in Calgary called Pies Plus and it’s such a small place but the food there is ridiculously good. They have all sort of pies, quiches and soups. Perfect place for lunch. When I saw all the pies there, I was amazed at how good they looked and I could not leave the place before I bought a pie. So I picked up a Saskatoon Raspberry pie.
Let me tell you this pie was unbelievable. My husband and I had a slice for dinner and for the rest of the night all we could think about is the damn pie, so we had another slice.
This pie inspired me to try my own version of a berry pie, so here it is. I didn’t have Saskatoon berries and that’s why I used strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
Now you may wonder which pie was better. I’m not going to lie to you, the Saskatoon Raspberry pie was better, but mine came pretty damn close as well. It was a bit tart from the strawberries but still sweet from the brown sugar. It’s a perfect summer pie. Serve it with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream, trust me, it’s a good thing.
You can find more detailed instructions on how to make the perfect pie crust on my Scrumptious Caramel Pear Pie post.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Berry Berry Summer Pie
- 1 pie crust whole recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Coat a deep-dish pie crust plate with nonstick baking spray.
- Place berries in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, cornstarch, orange zest and extract; mix well. Add to berries; toss to coat.
- Take out the pastry discs from the fridge and roll out a disc so that it's 12 inches in diameter and place it and arrange in your pie dish. Brush the pie crust with egg white so that it doesn't get soggy.
- Pour the berry mixture into the pie crust.
- Roll out the other disc so that it's 12 inches in diameter as well and cut it into lattice strips. Arrange the lattice strips nicely over the berries and brush with remaining egg white.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it cool before serving.