Last updated on May 15th, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Chicken and Corn Chowder – One pot and less than 30 minutes is all you need to make this delicious and comforting chowder loaded with chicken and corn.
For reasons I cannot articulate, I have been craving a chicken and corn chowder for weeks. I had one at a restaurant weeks ago and ever since then, it’s been on my mind. There’s just something so special about a creamy chicken soup loaded with corn, plus it has a bit of a kick from the Sriracha sauce I added which just gives it that extra oomph.
I actually used this green Sriracha sauce I found at Costco, it actually came in a pack of 2, one your regular red sauce and one green, which I think is just made with green chilies and it’s not as sweet or spicy, so if you have this one add as much as you want. The more Sriracha the better!
I also made this with lactose free milk, so if you have people in your family who are lactose intolerant, this soup works wonderfully with lactose free milk, but otherwise feel free to use a 2% or 3% milk or even heavy cream, for an even creamier version. However, I found this soup quite creamy with the lactose free milk and really enjoyed it.
Another shortcut you could take here is if you already had a roast chicken or any kind of cooked chicken, feel free to use that instead and that will make for a super fast chowder that you could have done in 20 minutes, which makes this perfect for busy weeknights.
Did you love this recipe? Try these!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Chicken and Corn Chowder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts skinless and boneless cubed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 cups milk *
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 14 oz cream-style corn 1 can
- 14 oz corn kernels 1 can
- 2 tbsp Sriracha sauce **
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded (optional for topping)
- In a large Dutch Oven or soup pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook the chicken for about 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through and no longer pink.
- To the pot, add the garlic and chopped onion and cook for another 3 minutes until the onion becomes translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Season with cumin, salt and pepper, then add the milk and the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the cream-style corn, corn kernels, Sriracha sauce and stir. Simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro, and serve topped with cheese if preferred.