This easy Chicken Quinoa Enchilada Casserole is healthy, delicious, and packed with protein and loads of cheese. This casserole is a true crowd-pleaser! If you’re craving enchiladas but you’re trying to keep your meals healthy, this recipe is an absolute winner.
I truly believe that if you don’t like quinoa, you just haven’t tried it the right way. Made saucy, cheesy, loaded with chicken and beans, you’re about to become quinoa’s #1 fan after trying this recipe out. When chicken enchiladas are on my mind, this is the type of dish I gravitate to!
With a short list of simple ingredients and only 40 minutes, you can make this ridiculously tasty dish. This is one for the books when you need quick, filling, homemade goodness in a pinch! You know I’d never steer you wrong.
Keep scrolling down to the recipe card for a list of FULL ingredient amounts and instructions or click the “Jump to Recipe” button at the top of the page!
- Olive oil – Regular olive oil, not extra virgin. You can use avocado, sunflower, safflower, canola, or vegetable oils instead.
- Onion – Any type you have handy.
- Quinoa – Cooked. White, red, black, or tri-colored.
- Chicken breast – Cooked and shredded. Thighs will work too.
- Black beans – I used canned beans. If you use dried, make sure to give yourself time to rehydrate them.
- Green chiles – Canned. Use fresh jalapeños if you can’t find any cans.
- Enchilada sauce – Buy enchilada sauce from the store or make your own.
- Cheddar cheese – Monterey Jack, Tex Mex, Colby or Red Leicester will work instead.
- Mozzarella cheese – Provolone, gouda, or havarti will work instead.
- Toppings – I served this with sour cream, freshly chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
What else can I add?
This quinoa enchilada casserole is a great opportunity to load your dinner up with lots of veggies from your pantry, freezer, or fridge. Here are some of my favorites:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Broccoli/ cauliflower
- Bell peppers
Use up what you have available to you! This recipe can be changed with each season and what you can buy at the grocery store.
How to make chicken quinoa enchilada enchilada casserole
- Prep: Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 8″ square ceramic or broiler-proof baking dish with cooking spray.
- Sauté: Heat a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and onion; cook 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Reduce heat to low. Add quinoa, chicken, black beans, green chiles, and the enchilada sauce; stir to combine. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Bake: Transfer the quinoa mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top evenly with Mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finish: Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Take the dish out of the oven and top with sour cream and cilantro to serve.
How to serve
I topped my casserole simply with sour cream, cilantro and lime wedges. There are tons of great ways you can serve yours up! You can even provide a topping station where everyone can personalize their own plate. Give these ideas a try:
Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Your leftovers will reheat best in the microwave, stirring every 15-20 seconds.
If using the microwave isn’t an option, you can employ one of these two options:
- Transfer the leftovers to a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add the leftovers to a skillet over medium heat. Stir often, and add a splash of broth if needed, until the casserole is heated through.
After transferring the quinoa mixture to a baking dish, let it cool down fully to room temperature. Cover the casserole dish well with plastic wrap and foil. Transfer the casserole dish to the freezer and it will last 4-6 months.
Let the casserole thaw overnight in the fridge before topping with the cheese and baking. Keep in mind, since the casserole will be cold from the fridge, you’ll need an extra 5-10 minutes of baking. Keep an eye on it and use your discretion.
Did you love this recipe? Check out these easy casseroles:
- Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
- Mexican Beef and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Tamale Casserole
- One Pot Cheesy Taco Orzo
- No Peek Chicken Rice Casserole
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Chicken Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
- sour cream
- cilantro freshly chopped, for garnish
- lime wedges
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 8-inch square ceramic or broiler-proof baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and onion; cook 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Reduce heat to low. Add quinoa, chicken, black beans, green chiles, and the enchilada sauce; stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheddar cheese. Transfer quinoa mixture to prepared baking dish. Top evenly with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn oven control to broil and broil 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove from broiler. Top with sour cream and cilantro. Serve immediately.
- Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Your leftovers will reheat best in the microwave, stirring every 15-20 seconds.
Originally shared May 2014.