This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cilantro Lime Chicken with Strawberry Salsa – a light and refreshing strawberry and jalapeno salsa with cilantro lime marinated grilled chicken, perfect for summer! Ready in only 25 minutes!!
I love this dish for so many reasons. It’s so fresh and bright, with tender marinated chicken and a salsa that will make you feel as if you’re on a sunny patio, no matter the season. I made it the other night after a lovely evening walking around in the sun and it was the perfect finisher to a beautiful day.
I personally think that this dish is best served alongside one of my Mojitos. Or two. Or three. So let’s toss everything together and make some magic happen.
Ingredients In Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
- Chicken – I used boneless and skinless breast for this recipe, but chicken thighs will work just as well.
- Olive oil – This will be used in our tenderizing marinade.
- Honey – A bit of honey will lend this dish some sweetness to help balance the tartness of the salsa.
- Cilantro – One of the key flavors of the dish! Cilantro is just one of those herbs that some people can’t stand, if that’s the case with you I recommend substituting with fresh parsley.
- Lime juice & zest – I recommend only using fresh lime juice, it really is worth the extra effort. Adding zest to the marinade will really concentrate that lime flavor.
- Salt & pepper – To taste.
- Club soda – This ingredient is totally optional but I always make sure to include it to help tenderize the meat.
- Fruits & veggies – Tomato, strawberry, jalapeno pepper (seeds removed), and green onion all chopped are the base of this salsa.
- Cilantro – Even more cilantro! This will really layer our flavors throughout the dish.
- Lime juice – I love lots of lime juice in my salsas, fresh only!
- Salt & pepper – To taste.
How To Make Cilantro Lime Chicken And Strawberry Salsa
- Prepare the marinade: Add all of the ingredients listed under chicken in the section above (except the chicken itself) to a blender and blend till smooth.
- Prepare the chicken: Place each chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound gently with a meat mallet so as not to break the meat. I pound mine out till it’s 1/2 inch thick. Place chicken in a large bowl and cover with the marinade. Stir to incorporate and leave to sit for 20 minutes.
- Combine the salsa: Chop all the salsa ingredients (except the lime) finely and toss together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate till ready to serve to allow all those flavors to get acquainted.
- Finish the cilantro lime grilled chicken: Grill the chicken on both sides, about 3 – 4 minutes each and spoon salsa over top once done. That’s it! This dish doesn’t even need a side dish with all that salsa.
Tips For Making The Best Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Club soda is a must if you have it, the physical tenderizing from the mallet combined with the chemical tenderizing from the club soda will make this chicken so soft.
- I allow my chicken to marinate while the grill heats up, at least 20 minutes in total.
- If you like something spicier, a diced habanero with the seeds removed will make this dish sizzle
- This salsa is so good that it can be used on all sorts of things. If I’m in the food for it sometimes I’ll even warm up some tortillas and make little tacos from this recipe.
- If you’re using chicken thighs in place of breasts, be extra gentle while physically tenderizing to make sure it doesn’t become too thin.
Storing The Strawberry Salsa
This salsa will keep fresh in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week. It freezes really well too, lasting up to 1 year in the freezer! The chicken can be stored like usual for up to 3 – 4 days
Can I Bake This Cilantro Lime Chicken?
Absolutely! Just follow my instructions for baked chicken breasts and that’s all you need to do!
Try These Delicious Chicken Recipes:
- Firecracker Chicken
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Orange Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan
- Mongolian Chicken
- Coq Au Vin
- Tandoori Chicken
For Cilantro Lime Chicken
- In a blender add the cilantro lime chicken ingredients; olive oil, honey, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, salt and pepper. Also add club soda if using it. Blend for about 30 seconds until smooth.
- Place each chicken breast between plastic wrap and gently pound using a meat mallet until chicken is about ½ inch in thickness. Place chicken in a large bowl and pour cilantro lime marinade over chicken. Marinate for about 20 minutes, while grill heats up and you make the strawberry salsa.
- To make strawberry salsa, toss all the salsa ingredients together in a bowl and cover and refrigerate until chicken is ready to serve. Grill the chicken on both sides. about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- To serve spoon salsa over grilled chicken.
- This salsa will keep fresh in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week. It freezes really well too, lasting up to 1 year in the freezer! The chicken can be stored like usual for up to 3 – 4 days
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.