Last updated on June 2nd, 2018 at 11:29 am
Coconut Rice Pudding with Berry Sauce – a simple, creamy yet delicious coconut rice pudding with a homemade raspberry and strawberry sauce.
Rice pudding is one of those desserts that I’m obsessed with eating, for no other explanation but the simple fact that I grew up eating it. It’s one of those desserts, along with crepes, that my mom would make pretty much on a weekly basis. It was also one of those things that as a kid, I used to swear to myself that when I grew up I’d never eat again, I’d only have chocolates and cakes and things that I might have thought at that time were way superior to a mere rice pudding. Little did I know then how silly that thinking was and that the time would come when I would crave such a simple thing as a rice pudding.
My mom’s rice pudding was quite simple, milk, rice and sugar and at the time, for lack of any other desserts, it would be gone in no time. Don’t get me wrong, we got our share of sweets, but this was my mom’s type of comfort food and many nights when you start craving something sweet, this was the quickest thing to put together.
My coconut rice pudding here is similar, still simple but I made it with coconut milk and some grated orange zest then served it with a delicious homemade strawberry and raspberry sauce. I started making this with coconut milk because my hubs is now lactose intolerant so by my caring nature it was only a natural progression. However I decided that I enjoy the coconut flavor and the creaminess of this rice pudding a lot more than with plain old milk. I’ll be honest with you though, the berry sauce makes this pudding. It’s so good and delicious, I could barely stop myself from eating it all. I actually have to fight my husband over this pudding, since it’s both our favorite.
Any intelligent being would acknowledge that this is a pudding that should be eaten immediately as it comes off the stove, with that comforting berry sauce drizzled all over, but I would recommend letting it cool before serving. But hey, who am I to disagree with you if you choose to go that route.
Honestly, I don’t really discriminate against any other rice puddings out there, but I’m going to be so bold as to actually say that this is the best freaking rice pudding you could ever have. Just saying!
I’ve also made another video for you to enjoy to show you how to make this pudding and to further enhance my video making skills.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Coconut Rice Pudding with Berry Sauce
For berry sauce
- 5 oz raspberries
- 5 oz strawberries cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice freshly squeezed
For coconut rice pudding
- To make the berry sauce add all the ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Turn down the heat to a medium, and continue cooking for about 8 to 10 minutes until it reduces a bit and starts to thicken. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
- To make the rice pudding, add the water and the rice to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium, cover the saucepan and cook for 8 minutes, until the rice absorbs the water.
- Add 2 cups of the coconut milk to the saucepan and stir. Stir in the orange zest, salt and sugar. Continue to cook for another 8 minutes. The rice will absorb most of the liquid and turn creamy.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg with the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut milk and stir into the saucepan. Cook for a couple more minutes until the egg cooks.
- Let the rice pudding cool completely before serving. If not served right away, refrigerate.
- Serve the rice pudding topped with the berry sauce.