This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Crockpot Salsa Chicken with cheese requires only 3 ingredients. It’s embarrassingly easy to make, full of flavor and so delicious!
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
I can’t even begin to tell you how delicious this salsa chicken is. Not only is it yummy, but there are only 3 ingredients in this recipe and it’s made in a crockpot. It’s embarrassing how easy it is to make this chicken.
The ingredients are chicken breasts, salsa and cheese. I make this all the time, because it makes for a healthy easy lunch or dinner. This dish is also incredibly versatile. You can omit the cheese and turn it into Mexican shredded chicken. Shredded chicken is great for tacos or burritos.
How to Make Crockpot Salsa Chicken
This literally will take you 2 minutes to put together, maybe 1 minute only. Basically all you do is put the chicken in the crockpot, pour a jar of salsa over it, about 2 cups, and cook it on high for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
You don’t want to cook it more than that, because it will start falling apart. If you’re just looking for shredded chicken, just start shredding it with two forks. That’s it, you’re done.
If you like it with cheese the way I love it, transfer the chicken to a baking dish. Spoon some of the leftover salsa over the chicken, sprinkle with cheese, then bake at 425 F degrees for about 15 minutes until the cheese melts. If you want to make it look pretty, garnish it with some parsley or cilantro.
What to Serve With Salsa Chicken
You can serve this over some Mexican rice, beans, maybe cauliflower rice if you’re looking to eat healthy. However, I love to serve mine with a shredded cabbage, carrot and kale salad. Trust me, it’s so good!
You can also shred the chicken and make some tacos. Make sure to drizzle lots of lime juice over the chicken for that extra zing.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken in the Crockpot
It’s NOT really recommended to cook frozen chicken in the slow cooker as there’s risk of bacteria contaminating the meat before it reaches a safe temperature. I would thaw it out in the microwave first for a few minutes before actually adding it to the slow cooker. You can also thaw out your chicken overnight in the refrigerator.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs or Drumsticks Instead
For sure! Follow the same process, however the thighs will require a little bit longer to cook. Cook them on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours.
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
If you try this in your Instant Pot, make sure to add 1/4 cup of water to the pot along with the salsa and chicken. The reason is to prevent your IP from getting a ‘burn’ message. Cover the pot with the lid and cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
If you’re looking for shredded chicken cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes, then natural release for 5 minutes.
Good news: you can use frozen chicken in the Instant Pot!
Looking for More Crockpot Recipes? Try These:
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- Prepare chicken: Place whole chicken breasts in your crockpot then pour the salsa over each breast.
- Cook: Cook anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low, you don’t want to cook it longer because it will start falling apart.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F degrees.
- Add Cheese: Transfer the chicken to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spoon some of the leftover salsa over the chicken. Sprinkle each breast with cheese, about 1/4 cup of cheese for each breast.
- Bake: Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and is bubbling.
- It’s not really recommended to cook frozen chicken in the slow cooker as there’s risk of bacteria contaminating the meat before it reaches a safe temperature. I would thaw it out in the microwave first for a few minutes before actually adding it to the slow cooker.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.