Drunken noodles is a Chinese influenced dish and there are many versions of this dish. Contrary to its name, there is no alcohol in the dish. However in my version I have added a bit of tequila. One theory around the name of the dish is that the dish is so spicy, you need a cold beer to combat the heat.
But regardless of what the dish is called, it’s delicious. In my version I cut down the spiciness a bit by using less chiles but feel free to use as much as you can handle.
This dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner because it’s so easy to make and you can have it ready in 30 minutes or less.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Drunken Noodles with Chicken
- 1 package fresh rice noodles I used chinese noodles
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 tbsp black soy sauce
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 chicken breast cut in small thin pieces I used 1 breast from roasted chicken
- 1/2 green bell pepper cut in thin long pieces
- Thai Chiles to taste chopped
- Thai basil leaves for garnish
- 2 small tomatoes cut in wedges
- green onions for garnish
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, stirring frequently. Drain.
- In a small bowl whisk together black soy sauce, tequila, light soy sauce, fish sauce and brown sugar.
- In a large skillet melt the butter then add sesame oil. Add garlic and Thai chiles and saute for a few seconds. Add chicken, green bell pepper and the soy sauce mixture and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add noodles, tomatoes and toss to coat noodles. Transfer to a big bowl or plate and garnish with green onions, and basil. Serve warm.