Last updated on April 23rd, 2019 at 03:14 pm
Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole – 4 ingredients is all it takes to make this popular Mexican dish. It’s cheesy, it’s spicy, it’s sinfully delicious.
Mexican food is my weakness. Totally! I love all Mexican food. I love going to Mexican restaurants and trying everything on the menu. But I also love to make Mexican food at home. This chicken enchilada casserole only requires 4 ingredients, so it doesn’t get any easier than this.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
I love chicken enchiladas and this casserole is even easier to make than making regular chicken enchiladas because you just layer your ingredients. Even a kid could make this.
And if you want to have some fun, have a mojito while you make this, or with it, before or after or during, doesn’t really matter. If you have a sombrero you might even want to wear that and make this chicken enchilada while dancing to the Mexican hat dance song.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Cooked the chicken in the enchilada sauce, just so it gets that nice flavor from the sauce and it’s nice and moist. If you want you could also use roast chicken and make this even easier. But you will love this chicken cooked in the enchilada sauce. It’s amazing.
Although that looks like a lot of chicken, it’s only 2 breasts. Once the chicken is cooked, layer your casserole. I started with a bit of sauce at the bottom of the baking dish just so that it’s all nice and gooey. Next add the tortillas then the chicken. You should be able to get three layers.
After you put some sauce on the bottom of the dish, you layer with 2 tortillas, 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the sauce, 1/3 of the cheese and repeat 2 more times.
I used Monterey Jack cheese just because I think it goes really well in Mexican food, it’s milder and creamier, so it’s perfect in this casserole.
How to Bake Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Bake this for 20 to 30 minutes at 375 F degrees until it gets all nice and bubbly.
After you bake it, I dare you not to eat a piece right away. I don’t think you can do it.
This chicken enchilada casserole, 4 ingredients only, one of the best Mexican inspired dishes you’ll ever have.
LOOKING FOR MORE ENCHILADA CASSEROLES? TRY THESE:
- Quick and Easy Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
- White Chicken Enchiladas
Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cut each chicken breast in about 3 pieces, so that it cooks faster and put it in a small pot. Pour Enchilada sauce over it and cook covered on low to medium heat until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. No water is needed, the chicken will cook in the Enchilada sauce. Make sure you stir occasionally so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred with two forks.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Start layering the casserole. Start with about 1/4 cup of the leftover Enchilada sauce over the bottom of a baking dish. I used a longer baking dish, so that I can put 2 corn tortillas across. Place 2 tortillas on the bottom, top with 1/3 of the chicken and 1/3 of the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese and repeat starting with 2 more tortillas, then chicken, sauce, cheese. Repeat with last layer with the remaining ingredients, tortillas, chicken, sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes uncovered, until bubbly and cheese has melted and started to brown on top.
- Serve warm.
- Make your own enchilada sauce using my recipe.
- I've made this casserole with both flour tortillas and corn tortillas. For a true Mexican inspired casserole I recommend using corn tortillas, however flour tortillas work as well. Some people have mentioned that flour tortillas turn out a bit soggier than corn tortillas, but I thought it was just fine.
- I used a 5x7 casserole dish here, but please feel free to use a 9x13 or 8x8 casserole dish.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.