This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
French Toasted Egg In a Hole – easy and fun to make breakfast with your kids. Take your traditional French toast, make a hole in the middle and add an egg.
Eggs. I love eggs. Many times we have eggs for dinner or lunch. I love to find new ways to cook and enjoy eggs.
But this is not a new way to cook eggs. I’ve been making eggs like this for years and it’s one of my favorite ways to eat eggs because it makes me feel like a kid. And who doesn’t love feeling like a kid? This is such an easy and fun way to get your children to eat breakfast.
So let me tell you how this is done. All you need is a few eggs, some milk and a couple slices of bread. In a small bowl you whisk together an egg with a bit of milk and season with salt and pepper. Now we need to cut a hole in the bread slices, the easiest way to do this is with a cookie cutter that’s 2 inches in diameter. Then you take each slice of bread and dip it in the egg mixture and let it soak for a minute or two. You then fry the bread slices in a skillet with some butter and after you flip the bread slice over you crack the egg in the middle and cook it for a minute or two then you flip the slice again and cook it for another minute. Very simple to make and it’s such a fantastic breakfast.
One way I love to eat this is with ketchup, so I just dip my piece of bread in ketchup and then in the egg, yummy!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
French Toasted Egg In a Hole
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 2 slices bread
- In a small bowl whisk together 1 egg and the milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a 2 inch cookie cutter cut out a hole in the middle of each slice.
- Take each piece of bread, included the cutout and dip into the egg mixture and soak it on both sides for a couple minutes.
- In the meantime melt the butter in a large skillet. After the butter has melted and is hot add the bread slices and the cutouts and fry until the bottom is golden. Flip over and in the hole of each slice of bread crack an egg. Continue cooking for another minute or two then flip over and cook for another minute or so or until egg is done to your liking.
- Serve warm.