Last updated on June 6th, 2018 at 04:47 pm
These Jalapeno Popper Pancakes are an incredible combination of sweet and savory. Extra moist pancakes with green chiles (that’s right!) layered with a 3 cheese mixture and drizzled with maple syrup!
This is what happens when I watch too much Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. No, but seriously. I can’t even remember when I saw this episode, all I remember is that Guy Fieri was visiting some place where they made Jalapeno Popper Pancakes. I thought at the time that it was such a weird combination, but I’m always one to try everything. As I always say, I’ll try anything once, if I don’t like it I won’t ever try it again. There might be a few exceptions but let’s not go there just yet.
Anyway, I couldn’t really remember how they made them, I just remember there was green chiles and cheese, so here’s my rendition of it. Trust me, but this combination works, it really does. For the pancakes, I just used my basic ricotta pancakes, I modified it a bit, like added a bit more milk because I wanted a thinner batter. If you haven’t tried those pancakes on their own, you must, they’re super fluffy and delicious.
When you cook these pancakes, this is when they get interesting. That’s when we add green chiles, I used the milder ones because I wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out but the next time I made them I used the spicier ones, so it really depends on you if you want mild and spicy. That cheese filling though is to die for. All my favorite cheeses mixed together with a bit of lemon juice. Simply irresistible.
I decided to turn this into a huge stack of pancakes by layering the cheese in between the pancakes along with some green onions, because why not, it’s part of the savory factor. And for the sweet factor I drizzled the stack generously with maple syrup, because I’m Canadian, eh? And if that wasn’t enough, sprinkled some powdered sugar over the stack.
So what does it taste like? Surprisingly, it does take like jalapeno poppers and pancakes together. When we made these, we couldn’t stop eating them. I really do love sweet and savory together and the chiles were mild but you could still taste them and that cheese filling is just to die for. So perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch! Trust me if you make these for friends or family, you’ll be a rockstar! If you really want to shine, add a couple strips of bacon when serving these, just saying.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Jalapeno Popper Pancakes
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla extract.
- In another medium size bowl combine the whipped cream cheese, ricotta cheese, lemon juice, mozzarella, salt, and pepper.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and gently whisk until well incorporated.
- Pour about a ladle onto a medium hot griddle (or a hot non stick skillet), sprinkle about 1 tbsp of the green chiles over the entire surface of the pancake and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the edges start to firm up. Flip the pancakes and finish cooking for another 1 minute on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
- To assemble layer pancakes, cheese filling, and top with green onions, repeat layers. Top with maple syrup and/or powdered sugar and serve while still warm.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!