This Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup also known as Avgolemono is a classic Greek soup thickened with eggs, loaded with rice, chicken and flavored with lots of lemon.
I don’t know if it’s still soup season or not, but who cares really. I love eating soup year round. This right here, my friends, is one of my favorite soups ever because of all the lemon flavor. It reminds me of my Romanian soups in which we always add lemon juice or vinegar.
LEMON RICE AND CHICKEN SOUP KNOWN AS AVGOLEMONO
This lemon rice and chicken soup is known as Avgolemono. Avgolemono is a traditional Greek soup that I’m sure most of you have had if you’ve ever been to a Greek restaurant. I’m not claiming my recipe here is a classic traditional Greek soup but this is simply my version of the popular soup.
HOW TO MAKE AVGOLEMONO SOUP
This soup could not get any easier, especially since I’m using already cooked chicken breast. I usually buy a whole roast chicken and use the chicken breast for this soup. However, sometimes if I don’t have a roast chicken and don’t feel like going grocery shopping, I’ll just boil a couple chicken breasts and use that broth actually to make the soup.
This soup is actually thickened with eggs, again this is a method I use in my Romanian soups as well. You basically beat the eggs with the lemon juice, then add a ladle of the hot broth to the eggs and stir, then slowly pour it in the soup.
There are probably many versions to this soup like adding more veggies. I basically just added an onion and a carrot, but you could add some celery as well as well as some garlic. But one thing I strongly recommend to add is the dill. In my opinion, it totally makes this soup.
LOOKING FOR MORE SOUP RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Red Lentil and Chicken Soup
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice *
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 3 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 eggs
- 2 chicken breast cooked and shredded with 2 forks, skinless and boneless
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup dill chopped
- Heat the oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat then add the chopped onion and carrot and cook for about 5 minutes or just until the carrot is tender and the onion is translucent.
- Add the rice and chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl beat the egg together with lemon juice.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot, then add about a ladle of the soup broth to the egg mixture and stir. Pour the egg mixture into the soup. You will notice the soup thickening up. Season with salt and pepper as needed and if you feel the soup needs more lemon, add more lemon juice as desired.
- Stir in the dill and cook for a couple more minutes before serving.
- To serve you could top this soup with some feta cheese, fresh dill and lemon slices.
- * Arborio rice is an Italian short-grain rice.
- I used 2 small cooked chicken breasts which I shredded with 2 forks, should be about 2 cups of shredded chicken.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.