This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Red Lentil Hummus and Sweet Potato Pizza – a gorgeous vegetarian pizza loaded with red lentil hummus, caramelized onions and sweet potatoes.
Doesn’t this pizza look amazing? And it tastes amazing too! Remember how I always tell you that I always try and find ways in which I feed my husband more veggies? Well this way is perfect. Works for kids too! And let me just say hubs loved this pizza, I mean really really loved it. It’s full of flavor and I’m just in love with it.
I had some leftover red lentil hummus from when I made it last time, and I thought it would be a perfect base for this pizza, and I was right! I love finding new ways to enjoy pizza, especially since we love our pizza in this house. We hardly ever order any pizza because we have so much fun making it ourselves, including the dough. This time however I went with a whole wheat pizza dough, same recipe as my easy pizza dough recipe, except I used all whole wheat flour.
I’m also a sucker for caramelized onions, I don’t know why, but it’s one of my favorite things to eat, seriously! So caramelized onions with this red lentil hummus was a marriage made in heaven. It really worked well together.
And then let’s not forget the sweet potatoes. Roasted sweet potatoes perfectly seasoned with salt and pepper and generously distributed all over this yummy pizza, then some chopped tomatoes, fresh parsley and a drizzle of yogurt! Are you with me here?
While this pizza may take you a bit longer to make, especially if you make the pizza dough yourself, and the red lentil hummus, it is a labor of love. Let’s not forget that yes you can take shortcuts and buy the pizza dough and any hummus from your grocery store, totally up to you. But if one Saturday afternoon you find yourself in the kitchen and are in the mood for some cooking and baking, then I strongly recommend you try making this pizza with everything made from scratch. In the end you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you made this! Yes you! Although it will be gone in less than 5 minutes, you will still have the great satisfaction of knowing you made an AWESOME pizza from scratch.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Red Lentil Hummus and Sweet Potato Pizza
Whole Wheat Pizza dough
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup water warm
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato , chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 cup red lentil hummus
- 1 large onion , sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tomato , diced
- parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- yogurt to drizzle over pizza (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- Start by making the dough. Pour the yeast over the warm water in a small bowl and stir. In the bowl of your mixer, add the flour, salt and then mix. Add the olive oil and using the dough hook mix for about a min.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated. Shape the dough into a ball and place it in an oiled bowl, rubbing a bit of the oil over the dough as well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a bowl toss the sweet potato with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender and golden brown. Timing depends on size of chopped potatoes.
- In a large skillet melt the butter then add onions and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes on medium, stirring occasionally and cook until onions are caramelized.
- Preheat oven to 500 F degrees.
- Roll out the pizza dough so that it's about 14 inches in diameter and place over a pizza baking sheet. If you don't have a pizza baking sheet, any cookie sheet would do. (You might need to spray some cooking spray over the baking sheet) Bake dough for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Spread hummus over the cooked pizza. Spread the caramelized onions evenly over the hummus. Top with roasted sweet potatoes, chopped tomatoes and garnish with parsley. Drizzle with some yogurt if preferred and season with salt and pepper.