This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
My husband loves cranberries and he’s been asking me for weeks to make him something with cranberries. So here’s a squash recipe you might not see often, but it’s really great. It’s also very healthy for you, squash, cranberries and a pecan crumble. It really is a great appetizer or snack.
Personally I love squash, and unfortunately I don’t cook enough with it. For this roasted squash with cranberry and pecan crumble recipe you’ll only need one squash. So before starting anything, preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Coat a baking sheet with a bit of oil, or nonstick cooking spray. Microwave the squash on high for a couple minutes then let it cool a bit, just long enough so that you can handle it. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds then season with salt and pepper.
Place the squash, cut side down, on a baking sheet.
Bake it for 20 to 25 minutes or until it’s almost tender but still slightly firm. In the meantime in a small sauce pan, add the cranberries, sugar, orange zest and 2 tablespoon of water.
Place the sauce pan over medium heat and cook the cranberries for about 10 minutes, it will turn into a nice thick sauce. If it’s too watery, continue cooking it until it’s thick enough, should be more like jam consistency.
Set the cranberry sauce aside. In a small bowl mix the softened butter, brown sugar, pecans and ginger.
Place the squash, cut side up, on the baking sheet. Spoon the cranberry mixture, evenly into the squash halves. Sprinkle the pecan crumble over the cranberry mixture.
Bake the squash for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender and pecans are golden. Remove from oven and let it cool. Cut the halves into wedges and serve.
It’s so good, if you’re a fan of cranberries, you will really love this.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Roasted Squash with Cranberry Crumble
- 1 acorn squash whole
- 3/4 cup cranberries
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted, softened
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- Preheat Oven to 350 F degrees. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Microwave squash on high for 2 minutes. Let cool enough to handle. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Season squash with salt to taste.
- Place squash, cut side down, on baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until almost tender but still slightly firm.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, add the cranberries, water, sugar and orange zest and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes until sauce thickens. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine pecans, sugar, butter and ginger. Place squash, cut side up, on baking sheet. Spoon the cranberry mixture evenly into squash halves. Sprinkle with pecan mixture. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is tender and pecans are golden. Remove from oven and let cool several minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.