Last updated on April 6th, 2018 at 09:26 am
Strawberry Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing – perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Delicious sweet rolls with strawberry jam and fresh strawberries.
Happy weekend! I’m so happy the weekend is here, it’s been a busy week here so today I had to unwind. I do this by baking.
I’ve been wanting to make these strawberry rolls for a while now and today was the perfect day for them. The hand model bought me these gorgeous strawberries and they’re so delicious and sweet. I, for one, love cinnamon rolls but the hand model has had enough of them, I admit I make them a lot. I’ve made cherry rolls before and I loved them, and I’ve made cinnabons before and a lot of other rolls you can find here on my blog. But I have to say these strawberry rolls are totally my favorite.
There’s just something about strawberries, they’re so sweet and amazing, one of my favorite berries. For the dough I used the cinnabons recipe which I cut in half here and used margarine instead of butter because so many people asked me before if it would be any different with margarine vs butter. To tell you the truth, it tastes the same to me, they’re just as flaky with margarine as with the butter. Some people might not want to use margarine for health reasons so feel free to use butter instead.
I filled these rolls with strawberry jam and about a cup of fresh strawberries which I cut into small pieces, simply because when I eat the rolls I want to bite into strawberries. After all they are the star of this recipe.
I do have to tell you that this cream cheese icing is to die for! I could lick the bowl, it’s so good. Initially I only put a little bit over the rolls but as you can see I kept adding a little bit more and more. I like my strawberry roll smothered in that cream cheese icing. That’s just how I roll. Roll! LOL Get it? Roll!
Have you tried my Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls? They’re one of the most popular recipes on the blog and that’s because they’re out of this world. Give them a try!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Strawberry Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter (unsalted)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup strawberries fresh and chopped
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- Warm up the milk in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add yeast to it, stir and let sit for 5 minutes until yeast dissolves.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the sugar, egg, margarine or butter, flour and pinch of salt. Mix using the paddle attachment until the dough resembles peas. Switch to the hook attachment. add the milk mixture and mix for about 3 to 5 minutes. Dough should be elastic and soft. Place the dough in a slightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size. I usually turn the oven on to 350 F for about 1 minute until it's warm inside, turn off the oven and place the bowl with the dough in the oven and close the door. This speeds up the process and in about 45 min your dough should have doubled in size.
- Butter a 10 inch pie dish, or any baking dish you choose to use.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle that's about 18 inches x 12 inches. Spread the strawberry jam over the dough evenly. If you use too much jelly it will come out when you slice into rolls. Evenly arrange the strawberries over the jelly.
- Start rolling the dough, starting from the far side towards you. When you reach the end make sure to pinch the sides together.
- Cut the roll into 8 equal rolls. To make this easier cut the roll in half first, then each half in half and so on, until you have 8 rolls. Use a serrated knife, I found it easier to cut the rolls.
- Place the rolls into the prepared baking dish and cover with plastic wrap. Let the rolls rest and rise until doubled in size. You can use the oven trick again to speed up the process. Just make sure to turn off the oven, you only want it to warm for about a minute so that the rolls stay in a warm environment.
- In the meantime you can prepare the cream cheese icing. Place all the ingredients in the bowl of your mixer and mix until smooth. If you find the icing is too thick add 1 tbsp of milk, keep adding milk until the desired consistency, but only add 1 tbsp at a time because it thins out quickly. You shouldn't need more than 1 or 2 tbsp of milk, I didn't use any at all. If the icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar and mix. Play with the ingredients, until you get your desired consistency. I like mine a bit thicker, but not too thick so that you can still drizzle over the rolls.
- Once the rolls have doubled in size, bake at 350 F degrees for about 30 minutes or until nice and golden. Let the rolls cool a bit, for about 10 minutes then drizzle with the cream cheese icing and serve.