Turkey Breast Stuffed with Bacon and Cheese – my favorite Sunday night dinner.
September in Calgary.
It’s already starting to cool down, very cold nights, and cool mornings. I must be really sensitive because I’ve already got a sore throat. But this last weekend it was a long weekend, Labor day weekend and the weather was still nice during the day. The great thing about Calgary though, is the sunshine. It’s always sunny here, which is why we love it here.
On Sunday I did a bit of cooking because I was in the mood and my favorite Sunday dinners are usually roasted potatoes with some kind of roasted meat. I grew up eating dinners like that on Sundays so it stuck with me. This past Sunday I made this turkey breast that I stuffed with cheese and bacon.
It was fabulous.
I had two small turkey breasts, boneless and skinless, I’d say they were 10 to 12 oz each. To stuff turkey breasts, first you need to butterfly the breast. Without slicing all the way through, cut the turkey breast in half horizontally and open it up like a book into one bigger piece. Place between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. With a meat mallet or rolling pin, gently pound the meat to make it as thin as possible. And that’s it. The bacon mixture was simply onion and bacon, and I used shredded Mexican blend cheese. Top the turkey breast with cheese and bacon mixture, leaving about an inch border, then roll it up and secure it with butcher’s twine or kitchen string. I first browned the turkey in a skillet evenly on all sides and then I put it in the oven for about 45 minutes.
It’s such a simple dish to make and it looks very impressive. If you don’t like bacon, you can stuff this turkey breast with anything, Swiss chard, cream cheese, whatever you can think of. It’s one delicious and impressive Sunday dinner.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Turkey Breast Stuffed with Bacon and Cheese
- 2 12 oz each turkey breasts, boneless, skinless
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup mexican blend cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a skillet fry the bacon and onion together until bacon is crisp and onion is transluscent. Set aside.
- To butterfly the turkey breasts, cut the turkey breasts in half horizontally without slicing all the way through,and open it up like a book into one bigger piece. Place between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. With a meat mallet or rolling pin, gently pound the meat to make it as thin as possible. Season the breasts with salt and pepper.
- Top the turkey breast with cheese, then the bacon mixture, leaving about an inch border, then roll it up and secure it with butcher’s twine or kitchen string. Repeat with other breast.
- Brown the turkey in a oven proof skillet with the olive oil, evenly on all sides. Place the skillet in the oven and roast the turkey breast for about 45 minutes.