Vietnamese Style Chicken Wings – baked chicken wings marinated in a caramel sauce that is to die for.
I got 4 words for you.
You gotta try these!
I can’t say it any more clearly than that. So far I haven’t really met anyone who does not like chicken wings, and I for one absolutely love them. I love to try different recipes, and you’ll find a couple recipes here on my blog, but I’m always on the lookout for different styles of wings. These are wonderful and I always bake my wings to make them healthier, because let’s face it, these wings don’t need to be fried to have more flavor, there’s plenty of flavor here.
We’ve had a long weekend here in Calgary and I love it, perfect for trying new recipes. The holiday we’re celebrating is Family Day which this year happens to fall on my birthday, so I can’t ask for anything more than that. My husband surprised me with a new KitchenAid KV25GOXMC Professional 5 Plus 5-Quart Stand Mixer, Metallic Chrome that I’ve been wanting for a while now and I am in love with it. Here it is:
You can see the old one in the background, it’s like its baby, it’s almost half the size of this new one. Let the baking begin!
And the gifts did not stop there, I also got a new camera, something that I’ve really wanted. The camera I got is a Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Body Only) and I also got a new Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras, it’s like he read my mind. I am absolutely in love with this camera and lens.
But let’s get back to today’s recipe, because it’s a good one. The chicken wings need to be marinated for at least 30 minutes up to 24 hours in this marinade that is very interesting. First you boil the water with the sugar until it starts browning and turns auburn then you add the rest of the ingredients. Once the wings have marinated place them on a baking dish that’s lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Bake them for about 40 minutes at 400 F degrees and this is what you end up with. I also brushed them with more of the marinade every 10 minutes. Don’t they look delicious? How can you say no to those babies? I know you can’t!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Vietnamese Style Chicken Wings
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar granulared
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lime juice ~1 lime
- 2 tbsp chili sauce such as sriracha or to taste
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 2 lbs chicken wings rinse and pat dry
- Simmer the water and sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat until it turns a deep amber, about 10 minutes.
- Mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, chili sauce, and garlic and carefully add it to the pan, then heat until the caramel dissolves.
- Marinate the chicken wings in the sauce for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Place the chicken wings on a rack, on a foil lined baking sheet and bake in the oven until golden brown and crispy, about 30 to 40 minutes. Every 10 minutes brush wings with additional marinade.