Last updated on October 23rd, 2017 at 09:43 am
These Cheesy Mashed Potatoes are loaded with 3 different kind of cheeses, bacon and chives! Mashed potatoes taken to the next level!
Mashed Potatoes! One of the easiest side dishes you could probably ever make. It is also probably one of the first things I learned to make as a little girl helping my mom out in the kitchen. Although my mom’s version is very simple, but tastes great nonetheless, I like to experiment with my recipes a bit. My mom’s mashed potatoes are made with milk and butter and she’d whip them up in a mixer so they were always light and fluffy. All I can say is there were never any leftovers. Mashed potatoes with a nice roast chicken and a great salad, my kind of Sunday supper.
These mashed potatoes, however, are taken to the next level. They’re amplified in flavor, totally a flavor bomb! They’re super creamy, since they’re mashed with butter, milk and sour cream then I loaded them with 3 different kinds of cheeses; cream cheese, mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese. If that wasn’t enough, I then added some bacon and some chives for a bit of onion flavor and most of all some green color among all that cheese.
You really can’t screw this up, it’s really an easy recipe, about as simple as they come. I have to admit this isn’t for those who are watching their weight, but if you aren’t counting calories, well this is for you! Because I’ll be honest with you, you won’t be able to stop at just one bite. If truth be told, I could eat all this on my own. I haven’t, but I’m just saying, I really could.
And that, my friends, is how you take plain old boring mashed potatoes and turn them into something incredible.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Recipe updated and added new pictures, originally shared March 2012.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Peel the potatoes, and cut them into cubes. Add the potatoes to a large sauce pan and add enough cold water to cover them by a couple inches. Cook the potatoes on medium heat for about 20 minutes or until you can easily pierce them with a fork. Transfer to a colander to drain.
- In the meantime chop the bacon slices into small pieces. Cook the bacon until crispy and browned. Alternatively, you can cook the bacon slices first, then chop them up into small pieces. Place the bacon on paper towels to remove some of the fat.
- Using a potato masher or fork, mash the potatoes in a big bowl until fluffy. Add the cream cheese, butter, sour cream, milk, half the cheddar cheese, half the mozzarella cheese and mix until well combined. To make them even fluffier you could use a hand mixer and mix until light and fluffy. Add the chives, half the bacon and salt and pepper. You might also want to reserve some chives for the topping.
- Stir everything together and transfer to a buttered baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar, mozzarella, bacon and chives.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.