Add to Collection
Go to Collections
These Swedish Meatballs are the mother of all meatballs. This recipe includes a mixture of ground beef and chicken with a hint of nutmeg and allspice. Learn how to make these amazing Swedish meatballs with a delicious gravy!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- 2 slices bread cut up into cubes
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/4 tsp allspice ground
- vegetable oil for frying meatballs
- 6 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium, or beef broth
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 3/4 cup sour cream
Add the bread to a large mixing bowl along with the milk and toss. Set aside to let the bread soak up the milk.
Melt the butter in a skillet, then add the onions and a bit of salt. Cook the onions until soft, about 3 minutes.
Add the ground chicken, ground beef, onions, egg yolks, salt, pepper, nutmeg and allspice to the bowl with the bread. Mix the meat mixture well using your clean hands. Shape the meat into 1 inch meatballs.
In a skillet heat some vegetable oil. Add the meatballs and fry until golden all around, about 7 minutes. Repeat with all meatballs.
To make the gravy melt the butter in a clean skillet. Add the flour to the pan and whisk well. Add the broth and continue whisking. Season with salt and pepper and other spices if preferred. As the flour cooks the gravy should thicken. Whisk in the sour cream. Bring the gravy to a boil then add the meatballs to it and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure meatballs don't stick to bottom of pan.
Garnish with parsley. Serve warm over mashed potatoes or noodles.
- This recipe will work with any type of ground meat.
- Baking directions: Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, or use a baking rack. Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- To freeze the meatballs and gravy, let them cool completely at room temperature. Transfer them to a freezer safe container and place them in the freezer for up to two months.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 or 4 days.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 176mg | Sodium: 386mg | Potassium: 663mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 565IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2.7mg