Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Bang Bang Chicken
Bang Bang Chicken - From the super crispy chicken coated in buttermilk and Panko breadcrumbs to the delicious sweet chili mayo, this recipe is perfection! You won't be able to keep your hands off it.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into small
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp hot sauce I used Sriracha
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs **
- oil for frying
To prepare the sauce, mix all the ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready for serving.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. To the bowl add the hot sauce, egg, buttermilk and whisk until you have a smooth batter. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl, toss to make sure each piece is coated in the batter and set aside.
In another bowl add about a cup of Panko breadcrumbs.
Add about 1/2 inch of oil in a large skillet and heat the oil over medium-high heat.
Coat each piece of chicken with breadcrumbs, add more breadcrumbs as needed, and fry on both sides for about 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Place on paper napkins to soak up some of the oil. Repeat with all chicken pieces. Do not overcrowd the chicken, only add a few pieces of chicken to the skillet at a time, so the chicken turns out crispy.
Drizzle chicken with sauce and serve.
- * Sriracha sauce is a hot sauce made from red chili peppers, garlic, vinegar, salt and sugar. The sauce is hot and tangy with a hint of sweetness.
- ** Panko is a Japanese-style breadcrumb traditionally used as a coating for deep-fried foods.
- You can use whichever hot sauce you like the best if you don't want to use sweet chili sauce.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- You can store these in the freezer for up to 1 month if you’d like to prepare these in advance. Just batter the chicken and then lay them on a baking sheet and freeze them, uncooked. Seal in an airtight container once hard and bake at 425 F degrees for 20 – 25 minutes from frozen when ready to eat.
- Baking instructions: Bake at 450F for 20-30 minutes, flipping the chicken after 15 minutes.
- This appetizer is okay to serve hot or cold.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 433kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 741mg | Potassium: 406mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 305IU | Vitamin C: 4.1mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1.9mg