Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Chicken Shawarma Tabbouleh Salad
This Chicken Shawarma Tabbouleh Salad is super fresh and loaded with incredible flavors. The chicken is marinated in Middle Eastern spices, super moist and delicious served over the best tabbouleh salad and a side of homemade hummus.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice from about 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur wheat uncooked
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from 1 or 2 lemons, depends on size)
- 3 cups tomatoes chopped small
- 1 English cucumber chopped small
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 2 cups fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
Other Optional Ingredients
For Chicken Shawarma
In a 8x8 baking dish add the smoked paprika, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, pepper, salt, lemon juice, olive oil, red pepper flakes, garlic, and whisk well. Add the chicken, sliced onion and toss making sure the chicken is well coated in the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least an hour. The longer the meat marinates the more flavour you'll have.
Preheat the oven to 425 F degrees.
Bake uncovered until the chicken is browned and crisp on the edges, and cooked through. It should take about 40 to 45 minutes. If you want the chicken crispier on top, turn the broiler on to high and broil for 3 minutes until nice and crispy on the outside.
Let the chicken rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
While the chicken is baking, prepare the tabbouleh salad. Add the water to a small pot and bring to boil. When the water is boiling add the bulgur and cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Stir occasionally. Let the bulgur cool before adding to the salad.
Add the bulgur to a large bowl, then add the remaining ingredients. Toss well.
To assemble the salad, spread the tabbouleh salad over the bottom of a large shallow plate. Arrange with sliced chicken, sliced avocado, Kalamata olives and sprinkle some feta cheese over the top. Serve with hummus and pita bread.
- In the previous recipe for the chicken shawarma I mentioned adding the onion after the chicken marinated, but I have changed it here and added everything all at once.
- If you have an Instant Pot at home, try my IP Chicken Shawarma recipe for this salad.
- You can use quinoa in place of the bulgur wheat for a gluten free version.
- Use a larger baking dish if you're making 3 or 4 chicken breasts.
- You can find the recipe for the homemade hummus here.
- My favorite way to serve this is to make pita wraps by adding a bit of everything from the plate. It's to die for!
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Nutritional information does not include optional ingredients.
Calories: 548kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 854mg | Potassium: 1029mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3057IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 4mg