Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Slow Cooker Short Ribs
Slow Cooker Short Ribs - simple to make short ribs slowly cooked in beer with carrots and parsnips. Fall off the bone tender and delicious.
Prep Time9 mins
Cook Time8 hrs
Total Time8 hrs 9 mins
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 lbs beef chuck short ribs bone-in
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 medium onion peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots cut into large chunks
- 2 medium parsnips cut into large chunks
- 2 sprigs rosemary fresh
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley stems and leaves separated
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bottles dark stout beer 2 12-ounce bottles, such as Guinness
Brown the short ribs: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, brown the short ribs, in batches, until they are browned on all sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Saute the sauteables: While the short ribs are browning, place a layer of onion and carrot pieces into the bottom of a slow cooker and season them with salt and pepper. Place the browned meat on top. Add the remaining onions and carrots along with the parsnips and herbs. Add Worcestershire and pour over the stout and add enough water to almost cover the contents. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours or until the meat is very tender.
Serve: To serve, carefully remove the meat and vegetables from the slow cooker. Strain the juices. Serve the ribs with the juice and garnish with chopped parsley leaves.
- Oven instructions: You can definitely make these short ribs super easily in the oven! Follow the directions just as above but pop the ingredients in a dutch oven instead and cook at 375 F degrees for 2 – 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Instant Pot Instructions: You’ll want to follow the directions outlined above, including browning and sautéing right in the pressure cooker on its saute setting. Assemble the ingredients in the pot, make sure to scrape the brown bits from the inner pot once the broth is added! Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes and allow the pressure to release naturally before serving!
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 352mg | Potassium: 911mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 4081IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 4mg