Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Chimichurri Steak Quesadillas
These Grilled Chimichurri Steak Quesadillas are just in time for your Memorial Day weekend party! Marinated steak in a yummy chimichurri sauce, Monterey Jack cheese and sautéed onions enclosed in a Flatout light flatbread, then grilled to perfection! This is how you make perfect quesadillas!
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
For the Chimichurri Sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup curly leaf parsley minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano (or fresh)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions sliced
- 4 Flatout flatbread (I used Light Original)
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
In a medium size bowl, whisk together all the chimichurri sauce ingredients. Spoon out about half of the sauce into another small bowl for dipping quesadillas in when serving.
Toss the flank steak in the remaining chimichurri sauce, making sure it's coated in the sauce on both sides. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to overnight.
Heat the 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Add the sliced onion, season with salt and pepper and sauté until they start to brown and soften. Remove the onion from skillet and set aside.
Heat your BBQ or heavy based grill pan over high heat until smoking.
Remove the flank steak from the marinade and grill to your liking. Do not scrape off the marinade, it's what's going to give the steak a nice flavor and crust. (Do NOT turn off the grill)
Place the flank the steak onto a cutting board or plate and cover with foil. Let it rest for about 10 minutes.
Remove the foil and cut the steak into very thin slices. Cut the steak against the grain. The reason for this is to minimize the length of each muscle fibre you have to chew.
Assemble quesadillas. Fill each flatbread halfway with about 1/2 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese, 1/4 of the sautéed onion and a quarter of the steak slices. You could add some of the reserved chimichurri sauce now or simply just use it for dipping. Fold in half and gently press down. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Place the quesadillas on the grill or preheated grill pan and grill on both sides for about 2 minutes or until cheese starts to melt and you have nice grill marks on both. Remove the quesadillas from the grill and cut each quesadilla in half.
Serve while warm with the reserved chimichurri sauce. You can either dip the quesadillas in the sauce or spoon some over the top.
- I like to use Monterey Jack cheese because it's relatively mild in flavor and melts really well which is perfect for quesadillas. You could replace it with some Colby or Cheddar cheese.
- You can also use any cut of steak for this if you want. I prefer a flank steak for quesadillas, it's perfect for feeding a crowd and I personally love the tender texture and it has a good chew. Feel free to cook the steak as raw or as well done as you like.
- It is vital to allow the steaks to rest before slicing into them because cutting into the meat prematurely will lead to loss of juices and that's where all the flavor is.
- Quesadillas are great for freezing. I usually (if there are leftovers) wrap them tightly in plastic wrap then place them in a ziploc bag and then freeze them. To thaw, take them out about an hour before serving then I like to either microwave them for a few seconds to get the cheese melty again or place them on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven at 350 for about 10 or 15 minutes until they're heated through.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 1quesadilla | Calories: 617kcal | Carbohydrates: 22.36g | Protein: 42.55g | Fat: 39.36g | Saturated Fat: 15.376g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.556g | Monounsaturated Fat: 19.13g | Trans Fat: 0.006g | Cholesterol: 118mg | Sodium: 903mg | Potassium: 657mg | Fiber: 2.9g | Sugar: 4.32g | Vitamin A: 2350IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 510mg | Iron: 4.7mg